Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Interesting how everybody now sells their N900s. Someone would think Nokia announced today that it will phuck up everything and not give something for free.
A little patience?

Or even better please sell your N900s, it's going to be definitely better for you and for community. Thanks, and goodbye!
The n900 is a very capable little device.

If people are going to sell thier n900s because Nokia may/may not release free map stuff is daft.

This is an open-source device. This means the community can write something similar. You do not have to use ovi map data but you have alternatives - e.g. Google's mapping data. A simple client application that get's it's data via server-side services is not that difficult.

That's why I am keeping mine. There are still many benefits of using the n900 and an active (and vocal!) community behind the device.

This is one of the many reasons I bought the n900 - the maemo platform is open-source which means I have a bit more control how the device is used.

At the moment not even Nokia themselves know what will happen to OVI maps on the n900 - there seems to be conflicting statements about the availability of free map stuff for maemo!

This is typical Nokia - great technical team but management seem to extremely ignorant about the whole thing.

To say "What? No free maps? f*** it! Selling my n900 and to hell with it's other benefits like community support, interesting applications, proper desktop-like browser..etc..etc"

This is daft and how many of you will actually sell thier n900 - not many I think!

So what if Nokia do decide to ignore maemo 5 and the n900?

At least we have an active community to push the platform and shape it the way we want to use it.

It could be a lot worse - you can own a locked-down iPhone -nice hardware & software shame about the fascist-like grip Apple exert on the platform..

or

Google Android phones - peering into every aspect of our lives and using the data to serve you endless adverts. Big Brother is watching & recording your every move.

or

Microsoft Windows Mobile - endless bugs and well it's Microsoft you know the rest.

Am I p***** off the way Nokia seems to be dealing with the whole free ovi maps debacle?
Absolutely!

But at least I am part of an active & friendly community - I have more control over my smartphone than Apple or Google could offer me.

I plan to keep my n900 and stick around here for a long time!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Nokia N900 is equipped with FREE maps 1 navigation software. It has a good performance compared to other free apps. - good maps (which you can download in advance) satellite view, 3D view, international routing.
It has NO voice-guided turn-to-turn guidance and No recalculation. But I didn't so much of that in maep or google maps either.

I did have the same basic possibilities on my N95 with Maps 3. On that device, i bought voice guidance and recalculation for a yearly fee.
So, what's the difference ? You can't compare a free service with a service you have to pay for.
For me. ovi maps 1 is competative with maep and other free services, and ovi maps 3 is quite a different thing.

I hope Nokia comes soon with maps 3 and the paid for services.
Otherwise I will by the same functionality from sygic.com. It seems that bad weather is ending soon at Sygic.

The Following User Says Thank You to willem43 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Not in those apps yet. Lacking voice annunciation of turns they're obviously not as good a navigation device as a dedicated GPS like a TomTom, but can to get there without referring to a paper map.

If I strongly desired the turn by turn functionality, my solution *today* would be buying an 18 month old TomTom from Ebay and using it for the next 6-9 months until the N900 gets closer to dedicated levels of functionality. I'd then sell the old TomTom at a smallish loss, and then use either the included (free) and upgraded version of Ovi Maps, or spend a bit more to get commercial software. The N900 would stay around for all the non-TomTom functions.
I had a tom tom, and you can believe that everything that I do with it, it’s possible with my Nokia 5800. I downloaded yesterday and it was working amazingly.

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwertyberty View Post
I had a N97 for five months before I picked up the N900 and I waited longer for basic bug-fixes initially, even on the big update ( heavily delayed !) thing were still in need of work
The Skype application that was mentioned in N97 marketing STILL isn't released, But that didn't stop me enjoying the device

Nothing is perfect and If you think Nokia is spending any more time or resources on Maemo than it's relatively meagre sales warrant then you are kidding your self.

"It is a business decision after all.."

Patience seems in very short supply round here of late
What I don’t understand is why Nokia is making so few N900. Here in Portugal they had some hundreds in the first day, and have been sold out ever since. Go figure…

too tired to read this whole thread so delete if already stated...

At the press conference announcing the news this morning, Nokia executive vice president Anssi Vanjoki confirmed that the Nokia N900, which runs Maemo 5, a different operating system to most Nokia smartphones, will eventually support the free turn by turn service too.

“In later dates we will be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo,” he told reporters.

Originally Posted by huschke View Post
I'm also sure that the N900 will get it eventually, but eventually is not soon enough! Nokia should have released the Maemo version alongside the Symbian version...
Well, i am also developing sofware and can understand that support for a new platform is released later due to ongoing work.. The proplem is, that in the inerview Nokia VP said it is NOT ON THE ROADMAP. This tells me enough, and even worse, also other developers / companies will see this and reduce support for Maemo platform.

Apple in contrast well managed to keep even oldest phones compatible .... Nokia instead seems to forget old platfom phones immediately after relese, thus reducing thetotal number of potential cusomers for us developers, introducing zoo of different incompatible versions.

How long would a M6 be supported? until start of development of M7? Again rewriting sW?

Google also provides oldest phones with 2.1 - why does Nokia not do so?

Instead I use beta-SW and get recommendatin for buying next device ... Beta 6? No, Nokia, this does not work!

Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
Well, i am also developing sofware and can understand that support for a new platform is released later due to ongoing work.. The proplem is, that in the inerview Nokia VP said it is NOT ON THE ROADMAP. This tells me enough, and even worse, also other developers / companies will see this and reduce support for Maemo platform.

Apple in contrast well managed to keep even oldest phones compatible .... Nokia instead seems to forget old platfom phones immediately after relese, thus reducing thetotal number of potential cusomers for us developers, introducing zoo of different incompatible versions.

How long would a M6 be supported? until start of development of M7? Again rewriting sW?

Google also provides oldest phones with 2.1 - why does Nokia not do so?

Instead I use beta-SW and get recommendatin for buying next device ... Beta 6? No, Nokia, this does not work!
I am sure it will come out for Maemo 5 soon. Obviously its easier to release it for Symbian as its been out for a good 4 years. Let me remind you we already have a Ovi Maps, the next step would be adding voice turn by turn. Either that or Sygic, that can keep us satisfied until Ovi Maps 3 comes out for Maemo.

Originally Posted by janszoon View Post
too tired to read this whole thread so delete if already stated...

At the press conference announcing the news this morning, Nokia executive vice president Anssi Vanjoki confirmed that the Nokia N900, which runs Maemo 5, a different operating system to most Nokia smartphones, will eventually support the free turn by turn service too.

“In later dates we will be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo,” he told reporters.
Read what you've written. He said Maemo not Maemo5 or N900. No commitment from Nokia for the N900 at all.

Originally Posted by pns View Post
There are some differences between M5 and M6 UI and they need different UI code even if they code it in Qt. Also, turn-by-turn navigation needs text to speech converter. This is still not available on Maemo from Nokia. So, there is a lot which needs development and my guess is Nokia is in fix. if they spend time on M5, they will get delayed on M6.
That's the view of Nokia.

For consumers: Why did you spend money on N900, you should have been waiting for N910 or whatever...

No problem if they bring update to M6 later, but what I learned they never did for M1 to M6 ... and againstill go that way ...
Even HTC usually does one major update, and HD2 might get WinMo 7 according latest announcments...

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
The majority of people here who bought the N900 knowingly did it with full awareness that it will have some serious limitations. Some perhaps will be addressed, some may never be addressed. It is no loss to me that you are disappointed that it is not something it was not - other than the fact that the constant harping about misconstrued imaginary feature-sets and "this has a higher model number than the N97 and was just released so it must be the flagship" griping just increases to ridiculous levels the ratio of noise on this forum. I come here for information, not to hear moaning and complaining over such trivial issues.
I disagree completely with that statement. Why would people buy if they knew it would have serious limitations? I was looking for a replacement for my N95 8GB. i wanted to use it to browse web a bit easier... i was looking at WM phones, Iphones, Androids etc.. then i come across the N900, just about to be Nokias new release.. WOW... i was bowled over with the features they have on their website, and i promptly ordered...

Nowhere, did it say "this isnt a very good 'phone', and will generally have reduced support because its only a stepping stone to what we are releasing next year with Maemo 6"

nor did it say "as this isnt a "mainstream" product, it wont get all the new updated map software, or have any integration with Ovi suit / PC suite"

And im damn sure if i go into a shop with 500notes, with the idea of buying an N900 or similar, will the sales guy say to me "oh you may not want an N900 as its only really for geeks and people wishing to help develop the maemo platform".... no, hes just going to just take my money with a smile.

Now i do love this "phone" / "internet tablet" (whatever) as it does a lot of what i wanted, but to be neglected in key areas on such a new device it disheartening.

A lot of my worries stem from reading this forum, and had my concerns early on SEE HERE maybe i should have read more before... but then i suppose its the same whatever you buy.

I read from people all over the net, that things look bright for maemo's future... ... im just not seeing it yet..

Just my 2p

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr_bridger For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo can has?