Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Hi all,

I am new so Hi and love the community!

I have bought the N900 however I have a question that I am hoping someone can simplify for a fool like me. I bought the N900 for its browsing capability and I am happy with that so please don't pull me down for asking this question - but what is the N900 supposed to be?

It is a great device for the net - that is why i bought it however reading all of the threads in here that I have, I am confused as to what I have actually bought!!! The phone is (by phone standards) pretty inaccessible to use compared to other mobiles. I am not a developer so I sit and wait for the fab people on here to develop my needs for me (thanks) but today I have read it is/is not a mere step to Maemo 6. It will/will not be given official Nokia apps, is/is not going to have the same number of apps as the i-phone (yes I know, a saddo that has to rely on apps). I was expecting a full SatNav to be released imminently and it is/is not going to happen.......

All that aside, I love it but the lack of a clear message from Nokia and the speculation in the threads has me mighty confused......

Thanks to anyone who can give me a clear train of thought for me to cling onto!!!!

All the very best
K

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
It is what it is to the person using it. Customize it to your needs.
For me it's a pocket linux computer that makes phone calls.

That said, I use it for about 15-20 calls a day or about 2000 min/mo and it works very well as a phone for me, at least as well as the G1 it replaced. If you use VOIP like Skype, it might be the best thing on the market.

To me the message from Nokia is that as Maemo matures and grows it is - or soon will be - versatile and powerful enough to allow the device to be almost anything you need/want it to be. I like that message.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
just take your time and see what it can do. does it really matter what opinions other have?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
just take your time and see what it can do. does it really matter what opinions other have?
Very good point, for a control freak like myself "grey" is something to be understood lol....

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
It's what it is - a computer in your pocket.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
It's what it is - a computer in your pocket.
Why doesn't it come with a cupholder?

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I though that's what the flip out thing on the back was... just for very small, rectangular cups.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Try filing a bug report on that

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Because i don't drink coffee.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lancashire
what is it?

Probably the smallest laptop in the world that you can use as a phone

The Following User Says Thank You to ksh For This Useful Post: