Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Brayo1971 View Post
I'm not sure where I'm going with this now so I'll shut up.
Feh. You're going to have to stop letting that get in your way if you want to really fit in here. I think you'll do all right though, so welcome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... well ... reading to the bottom of my admitedly long post would have been a start ...
I did. I just chose to focus on that one part.

Originally Posted by Brayo1971 View Post
I'm not sure where I'm going with this now so I'll shut up.
No! Keep yakking, please.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chesterfield, England
Sorry I'm all yakked out. . .

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
How should a geek deal with sudden popularity?
... tis like this cool little remote community is having to deal an overnight mass migration ... and none of us are ever going to understand their ways, cos we didn't live through it with them in that pre-phone pre-history ... not to mention that most of us newbies aren't actually geeks ...

(Welcome to the forum BTW! ... hope you're enjoying yourself!)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Woo! Covered in the previous post. Yeah!

Please talk with RevdKathy. This is her bailiwick. It's not that the community hasn't wanted to help newcomers in the ways you'd like, but it can be just too easy to not see those needs when you're in already. Please, please stick around, ask questions, and point out where there are missing bits that will help you, and others, understand how to get more involved. And don't be bashful about speaking up when someone has made an attempt to help, but missed in terms of level or detail. In my experience, if you politely tell someone here you didn't understand step 4 or have no idea what a "foobar" is, they'll happily explain further.
... don't worry, I'm much less bashful about that now, it is still hard to know when to pester for more detail and when it's more appropriate to really search for the information yourself ...

It's nice to know that more helpful explanations of the Maemo community are coming, hopefully that will help intergrate newbies into the community faster, which should help us feel less like we're in the way, and help ease the burden from the currently established community that's currently feeling the pressure of a serious population explosion ... I'd like to think my input is helping a little, but I guess we'll see ... Thanks!

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Hi,
Thanks.

I actually have latent geek tendencies and I'm looking forward to learning how to contribute something useful. For now, I think its time for me to get some sleep and stop insulting the people most likely to help me when I brick my shiny new toy.

Keep up the good work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digbum13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I did. I just chose to focus on that one part.
... and yet still asked a question about that part that I'd pretty clearly answerd at the bottom of that post? ... ok, to reitterate, no, I wasn't after an actual "welcome" I think what I was missing was more help becoming a productive member of the community, working out how the different parts of the maemo community work together, working out how to get involved in testing, brainstorms, bugzilla etc ...

Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
Hi,
Thanks.

I actually have latent geek tendencies and I'm looking forward to learning how to contribute something useful. For now, I think its time for me to get some sleep and stop insulting the people most likely to help me when I brick my shiny new toy.

Keep up the good work.
Sounds like very sensible advice! ... I should have been in bed hours ago! ...night!

( ... oh, and my friends may think I'm a geek, but even if I hadn't known better before visiting this forum, just half an hour here would have made me think twice! ... I would really like PC support for the thememaker tho, cos I can't wait to get to designing my own theme! ... )

Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... and yet still asked a question about that part that I'd pretty clearly answerd at the bottom of that post? ... ok, to reitterate, no, I wasn't after an actual "welcome" I think what I was missing was more help becoming a productive member of the community, working out how the different parts of the maemo community work together, working out how to get involved in testing, brainstorms, bugzilla etc ...
Sorry, I was still unclear.... and still am. I'm honestly wanting suggestions on what to put in place, not simply what's flawed. We old-timers have a lot of ideas, and keep kicking them around, but good, solid suggestions from newcomers can't be beat.

What has worked for you elsewhere? What specific solutions do you have?

EDIT: I want to apologize to you specifically if we have fallen in our responsibility to reach out. I will personally work on improving that. And I apologize to everyone in this thread for talking so much and so intensely. Got a little carried away.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-23 at 02:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
fun is 2 doors down, i love tintin, texrat = all seeing eye, texrat = overlord, tintin for council