Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

Originally Posted by pityme View Post
So, here is my prophecy: Within the next two week there will be an official statement that similar navigation features will be made available for the N900 "soon". Not sure what "soon" will mean, but I'd hope within the next 3 months or so.
You're right.

Originally Posted by drm View Post
You're right.
Nokia support response sounds different.

And in other interview it was mentioned not Maemo, but "next generation of ... Maemo devices ..." .... "might come"

The Following User Says Thank You to Wiener For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Why does it need a voice synthesizer? Isn't that more work than playing an audio file for turning left when you come to the point it should say "turn left in 50 metres" ? It's also easy to put in different languages by replacing the English files with German etc with the same filenames for "turn left", "turn right" etc.
My Nokia N810 did in fact have dozens upon dozens of small sound clips, in multiple languages, consisting of words like "in the next roundabout", "turn right", etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
1) I don't believe you have heard what you think you have heard if you think you have heard Ovi Maps is coming soon.

Until officially stated via an official Nokia channel, all tech-blog hear-say should be considered misunderstandings over the theme "Ovi Maps is said to come to the Maemo platform eventually" - "Noone at Nokia said Maemo 5". People keep pulling up blogs that have read in blogs that a blog ment that a blog owner thinks this is great news for N900 owners.

Nokia may yet give us a huge update on Ovi Maps for free. But if they do, it'll be on their terms. They want to make a version so Maemo 6 devices can go Mass Market.

2) I don't think the N900 was supposed to be Mass Market.

The long term plan has always said that Mass Market is step 5 on the Maemo plan. Maemo 5 is considered "step 4". That is why they initially produced much fewer devices than they actually were able to sell. [or so I read in a thread here, a few days ago]

I have said before that I think the N900 is marketed broader than originally planned, due to the N97's rather unsuccessful flagshipness. I think the Next Maemo device will be yet another great leap forward for the Maemo platform. Maybe finally the Maemo platform will get it's own model series, and abandon the N-series? Probably not. But I do believe the next major Maemo version will be aimed at the Mass Market. Simply because Nokia said so. Till then I will keep thinking that the N900 being marketed this widely was an unfortunate (for Maemos reputation) last minute decision because the N97 failed to impress. Cause honestly, the N900 have reached a whole lot of people out there who doesn't appreciate the N900 not being the smart phone they expected.

3) I don't think Nokia is focusing on pleasing the N900 owners. On the long term plan, the Maemo models have been milestones on the way to mass market. The day they plan to conquerer the world, is the day they unleash the full potential of this process. Maemo 6. That's how I read the whole "4 out of 5" thing. For us, that means, they will listen very careful to how we say the thing fail, and fix it. For the Mass Market Version.

This leads to 4) If they can backport it to us without extra cost, they will. We're useful beta testers. But the real deadline is Next Generation. That's what really matters. The next version is Nokias turning point Droid/Milestone. The next version is The Empire Strikes Back.

Not the N900. The N900 is the Nokias G1. Nokia Dev Phone.

We might get an updated version of Maemo Ovi Maps on the N900. But the reason we might get it is because Nokia needs to make it anyway. But the deadline... It is not in 3 weeks, people.

Last edited by volt; 2010-01-24 at 19:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
Nokia support response sounds different.

And in other interview it was mentioned not Maemo, but "next generation of ... Maemo devices ..." .... "might come"
Oh common. The Nokia base level support is practically useless if you´ve got to do something more difficult than take out your batter, or insert your sim card.

Don´t expect them to know anything.

And no, this is not limited to Nokia. In general I find that basic support people are absolutely useless.

Originally Posted by volt View Post

This leads to 4) If they can backport it to us without extra cost, they will. We're useful beta testers. But the real deadline is Next Generation. That's what really matters. The next version is Nokias turning point Droid/Milestone. The next version is The Empire Strikes Back.
WE ARE NOT beta testers, we are customers. BETA TESTERS HAD THEIR CHANCE FEW MONTHS AGO, THEY'RE ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THE N900 GOT DELAY SO MUCH (forgot where i read this, but some of the beta testers didn't submit their bugs etc in time, so the had to delay it until all the testers could had submitted their problem.).

When my friend bought this phone, the Nokia rep didn't say that this phone was for "geeks" or "you're a beta tester". I have also researched about this phone before i chose to purchase it, and it fits my needs perfectly. What i can't believe is how backward thinking Nokia is.

Last edited by grumps312; 2010-01-24 at 19:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumps312 For This Useful Post:
...You mean the 300 dev phones? That's nowhere near enough to betatest a new OS.

We're beta testers, the same way gmail users were beta testers until last year. The same way that Windows ME users were beta testers and never got out of the beta phase :B

No, I know the N900 is sold as a full blooded phone. People should expect to get a fully completed product. I saw an ad for it last night where it was called an "Outstanding Phone". But not even the iWhatever was really done when they released it. Either way... I don't think Nokia will invest as much time in perfecting this phone as they will on the first Maemo 6 phone. I really don't. And frankly there is nothing out there to suggest that Nokia is putting a lot of prestige in making a perfect N900.

The N900 isn't the one they're scared to f*** up. In my opinion.

Last edited by volt; 2010-01-24 at 19:55.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
...You mean the 300 dev phones? That's nowhere near enough to betatest a new OS.

We're beta testers, the same way gmail users were beta testers until last year. The same way that Windows ME users were beta testers and never got out of the beta phase :B

No, I know the N900 is sold as a full blooded phone. People should expect to get a fully completed product. I saw an ad for it last night where it was called an "Outstanding Phone". But not even the iWhatever was really done when they released it. Either way... I don't think Nokia will invest as much time in perfecting this phone as they will on the first Maemo 6 phone. I really don't. And frankly there is nothing out there to suggest that Nokia is putting a lot of prestige in making a perfect N900.

The N900 isn't the one they're scared to f*** up. In my opinion.
I hope this is not how Nokia thinks or manage their products. This is a slippery slope for Nokia. If Nokia is willing to pass Maemo 5 and go right to Maemo 6, what happens when Maemo6 comes out and they leave it for Maemo7 and so on... They say we are step 4 out of 5, but things could change as competition gets stiffer.

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
If Nokia is willing to pass Maemo 5 and go right to Maemo 6, what happens when Maemo6 comes out and they leave it for Maemo7 and so on...
That is how it has always been. Read back.

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
They say we are step 4 out of 5, but things could change as competition gets stiffer.
I think you fail to see the significance, the weight, in this statement.

Imagine Microsoft saying "our brand new OS isn't all that, wait till you see the next one!" That'd put some pressure on them, and at the same time hurt sales badly.

When they first called the N810 "step 3 out of 5", it ment they officially stated the N810 wasn't where they had their focus, their target. For years, they have been building up marketing hype for "step 5". They have basically built up a place for that phone at the risk of selling fewer "step 3" and "step 4" units because they said that.

Now, Nokia HAS to deliver on that launch. They have built up a marketing pressure over years. If they fail, they have nothing like it. It will take years for them to rebuild such an expectation.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo can has?