Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Hi,

A few questions:

-What differences are there?

-Is it just that the FW will take longer to be released?

-Can I not change the product code like I did on my n96?

-Will this void my warranty?

Thanks

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
There are branded N900s???????????

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
Hi,

A few questions:

-What differences are there?

-Is it just that the FW will take longer to be released?

-Can I not change the product code like I did on my n96?

-Will this void my warranty?

Thanks
1. Maybe a logo printed on the phone, possible different firmware.

2. Dont see why you couldn't change the code?

3. Pretty sure messing around with product codes voids the warranty as is with any phone. I beleive Nokia can track this even if you change it back to the original.

People informed me that if i went to vodafone to get it, it would be branded, and that if I went to carphone warehouse, it would be unbranded. See below:-

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40701

Also, how can I tell if a phone is branded, apart from any printed logos on the phone itself? if I go into a store and see look at an n900 and it doesn't have 'vodafone' printed somehwere on it, does that definately mean its unbranded?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've never heard about branded N900's...
I don't think that there are any.
In the end it's Linux...

I got mine from CPW and it was unbranded on Vodafone.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
Also, how can I tell if a phone is branded, apart from any printed logos on the phone itself? if I go into a store and see look at an n900 and it doesn't have 'vodafone' printed somehwere on it, does that definately mean its unbranded?
If you go into the store as to test your simcard maybe? Chances are you will get one a lot cheaper from Amazon than in store if that option is a possibility for you.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
got mine direct from voda and they are not branded.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
There are branded Vodafone UK n900s. They have Vodafone 360 preinstalled, a different firmware number from the UK unbranded ones, and there was some question about whether skype had been quietly disabled (You'd need to ask someone who has one about that to be sure). I would also assume they have the voda-logo somewhere on the casing.

My understanding is that the recent firmware upgrade was a few days late for the voda ones, but that, encouragingly, it did arrive. Which is a vaste improvement on previous arrangements where some upgrades have been completely blocked by carriers. Again, you'd need to check with a Voda-owner to be certain.

You can certainly flash with unbranded firmware if you have branded. The jury is currently out on what that would do to your warranty, since you'd be using the tools provided by nokia for doing it. We have yet to have a test case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: