I was keeping an eye on the price on Amazon. Started out around $570 and rose to about $700 when Amazon went out of stock! When they got it back at $530 is when I ordered mine. Since then it's gone up to $542.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
I was keeping an eye on the price on Amazon. Started out around $570 and rose to about $700 when Amazon went out of stock! When they got it back at $530 is when I ordered mine. Since then it's gone up to $542.
The price is not "going up" on amazon. Rather, when amazon's stock is emptied, amazon posts the price of the "next cheapest" or "next available vendor", where the product can be purchased.

So when amazon runs out, the posted price may be from "6th Ave Electronics", who may be selling the product for $700, on their own website. Once amazon receives more stock, the posted price will return to amazon's price, and not the other vendors'.

That said, there have been price wars between the vendors, such that if 10 different vendors are all selling the same product via amazon, if one has a big price drop, the others follow suit. The price on my Pioneer AVIC 700 went from $799 to $350, in the span of 30 days...luckily I held out and scooped it up on the low end. After a minor bump in sales, the prices went back up to about $500 after a few weeks.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-27 at 15:54.

Well, still no info on N900 sales figures. Nokia did post a pretty awesome 35% to 40% increase in their smartphone global marketshare.

Also they changed the name of the group from smartphones to "converged devices" which I guess is all thanks to N900 =)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by reviver View Post
Also they changed the name of the group from smartphones to "converged devices" which I guess is all thanks to N900 =)
I think I read "converged devices" in their reports before.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post

a) I admitted it b) you threw the first stone with your wanton unfriendliness - dont give the forum a bad name, as a 'greeter', Im sure people expect more.
sorry, that I pointed an error you made. will never do it again because I'll ignore you for now on.

e: ps. nice way to "admit"

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
You, and everyone else know what I meant - whats your point.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Was it a success or a failure?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Alexandria; Egypt
Good question

well it hasnt been pushed alot by nokia and in the uk only cpw and vodafone have really sold it which would have slowed down sales in the uk i dont know what other countries are like

to be honest i still pull out my n900 and people ask what phone it is

needed more networks to get it and also nokia to promote it more

i dont think it was ever meant for mass production hence the lack of advertising and also the shortage of units

maybe they are waiting for pr1.2 bfore they advertise it properley or other netowrks take it up in the uk , i know voda then cpw have had exclusives on it so maybe that is why no others are stocking it yet

i feel that the n900 could have a second wind when others start stocking it etc

According to reliable sources in the beginning Nokia planned 30,000 monthly production but after big number of preorders bumped it to 100,000.

According to less reliable sources, but still with some credibility, since then they increased monthly production to 200,000 units and still have some problems with meeting demand.

So, if we believe those sources - I do BTW, N900 isn't overwhelming success in absolute numbers (projecting yearly sales about 1,5-2 mln units, topselling 5800 is at 8 mln per year) but it exceeded corporate expectations by several hundred percent.

Last edited by vvaz; 2010-04-06 at 19:13. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Well, at the end of last year, Nokia announced that the interest for the N900 is higher than they expected, so I think it is a success.

If you take into account that it is a product which isn't designed to sell out, I think it is extremely successful.