Active Topics

Im really annoyed at this, I went for the 900 as an exhange from the HTC HD2 due to firmware upgrade issues, seems that vodafone are still messing with this phone too.....

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Northern Ireland
Originally Posted by pastyman View Post
Im really annoyed at this, I went for the 900 as an exhange from the HTC HD2 due to firmware upgrade issues, seems that vodafone are still messing with this phone too.....
Just to be clear, what version of firmware is your n900 running? Is there any branding/vodafone logo's on your device? What makes you think your connection issues are at all related to any possible branding?

Originally Posted by r-t-q View Post
Just to be clear, what version of firmware is your n900 running? Is there any branding/vodafone logo's on your device? What makes you think your connection issues are at all related to any possible branding?
My product code ends in 421, and the firmware was updated yesterday via the vodafone site, which in turn put me to the nokia update site.
So the firmware has been updated to the latest, but somehow (via the product code i expect) setting up contract internet is not available...

although there are no visible signs of branding, as with the HD2, the serial/code numbers are logged with the manufacturer as to prevent certain applications and or services running......

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by pastyman View Post
My code ends in 421, only got the device yesterday and I cant add an internet connection other than wlan, and can only edit the name of the contract wap, so cant add contract internet..... could this be the reason?

Cheers
you need your provider to send you proper settings. Ask them how to do it. Has nothing to do with firmware afaik. My provider insisted of sending me wap settings instead of intenet, but I modified them myself to get them to work properly after looking up the problem on teh interwebs. (This is saunalahti in finland tho, so voda might do things different)
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

As i thought, naughty Vodafone!

all sorted now, and working just fine....

Last edited by pastyman; 2010-01-27 at 18:35.

Originally Posted by randall8686 View Post
P.S voda will do the N900 for £30 a month with unlimited text, data, landline and voda to voda calls and 750 cross network mins ;-) if you push them hard enough + free insurance and vodafone passport hehehe
I meant to ask a few more details about this. This seems like a very good deal. How long is your contract? Were you upgrading? If so how long have you been a vodafone customer? What did you do/say to get them to offer such a good deal. Vodafone are callin me in a couple of days to upgrade and I want to get the best deal possible!

Thanks

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
its a 24 month contract, i was upgrading i have been with vodafone 5+ years and have two contracts with them (mine and mr MRS) i basically said to them £40 is way to much + spoke to the business department. if you push voda hard enough they will budge on there plans.

Also there is no restrictions in software etc and if you really are fussed you can reflash the phone. But at the moment there is no difference between the voda supplied handsets and nokia direct.

In terms of settings, on 3
a) the basics just seemed to work anyway
b) After a few minutes I had a text message from the network which carried network settings. This wasn't requested it was automatic (presumably network detected a new device being used with that SIM)

All very easy and painless.

On data note that voda T&Cs seem to exclude voip explicity, but since they're shipping devices with this as a standard feature I think they;d struggle to enforce? (I don't think they do anyway?)

Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
In terms of settings, on 3
a) the basics just seemed to work anyway
b) After a few minutes I had a text message from the network which carried network settings. This wasn't requested it was automatic (presumably network detected a new device being used with that SIM)

All very easy and painless.

On data note that voda T&Cs seem to exclude voip explicity, but since they're shipping devices with this as a standard feature I think they;d struggle to enforce? (I don't think they do anyway?)
Would be interested to find this out. Would mainly use VOIP in my house over wi-fi anyway tho.