Active Topics

Good day Maemo.org

It's my first post here in this forum, but I've been browsing around for a while now. Great site!

On to my question. I just updated my Nokia n900's firmware from 42.1.002 to this latest one 51.1.002 last night.
Today it was doing good the whole day, I accessed the internet, played music and videos, etc.

Tonight, my girlfriend was calling while I was doing something so it took her 4 missed calls before i answered. after the call finished, i tried texting her so i went to Conversations.

This is where the glitches appeared, the top menu would black out, then i tap on something, the whole screen blacks out. i wait 1minute for each interaction to check for response, nothing happened. I went back to the desktop and open contacts, same scenario. I went back to the desktop and open the App Manager, same scenario....

I tried sliding on the desktop to change screens, it does slide and goes to the next screen, but when the animation is done, everything turns black except a "triangular clearing" pattern at the bottom of the screen.

(description of the triangle i saw: a right triangle with the 90degree angle located at the lower left corner of the screen)

Could this be an incompatible app installed?
Has anyone experienced this before?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Wow, this sounds really weird.. does rebooting solve the problem?

it resolved the problem but i'm not sure if this will occur again in the future.
i'm sure it's software based but im not sure which aspect, apps, the OS itself, or their clash...

by your reaction i guess you haven't heard about this before?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ India
hi ... did you reflash the firmware or updated from the app manager. I had a similar problem when my conversation was crashing and i found that the firmware i downloaded was broken. compare the md5sum from what you have with the one listed from there you downloaded the file... if its not the same i would recommend downloading it again and reflashing...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I once had the phone ringing screen all black except for the ringing phone fading animation icon.
From then on I noticed there is no title bar visible when the phone is ringing. Is this normal, or should there be a title bar visible.
For some time, displaying images in the image viewer showed only a black screen in fullscreen mode unless you zoom in. Rebooting didn't fix and I filed a bug report, but some time later this weird behavior went away by itself and the image viewer is back to normal again.

I updated via App Mgr. No flashing yet as im in the beginning of exploring the device.

As for pycage's experience, i think that behavior is normal, the system is accessing the flash memory. it slows down sometimes, especially if your multimedia is cramping up the disk space, so the graphics update can't keep up while its busy accessing.

we need to see a powerful up-date for the N900 after this up-date..