Active Topics

My speed's great (haven't checked speedtest but from downloading/surfing the speed is fine).

It's just phonecalls that are flakey -until I disconnect from the internet that is.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Originally Posted by shrubbery View Post
I'm using my N900 on vodafone in and around the Sheffield area and really struggle to get 3G coverage and sometimes any coverage at all.

I used to use o2 with an iphone and 3G coverage was great in the same areas.

Random - Im from The Shire too and I get a great Vodafone reception in the City Center and out towards Crookes / Walkley / Hilsborough.

I get a 3.5G reception in my house with a download speed of averaging 3.2Mb/s. Maybe its the hills?

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Birmingham, UK
sorry to bring up a bit of a dead 1 month old thread but I've had the N900 for a month now but have never experienced a 3G connection?? I'm with vodaphone and live in the Birmingham area, never got more than 2G? Any tips on this?

Also can't seem to make video calls.. AT ALL. I would've thought this feature is available in N900?

.. Update:

Just tried my PayG o2 sim in there and voila! 3G coverage available.. but why not on vodafone?? Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by frazzl3; 2010-02-28 at 00:29. Reason: update

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by frazzl3 View Post
sorry to bring up a bit of a dead 1 month old thread but I've had the N900 for a month now but have never experienced a 3G connection?? I'm with vodaphone and live in the Birmingham area, never got more than 2G? Any tips on this?

Also can't seem to make video calls.. AT ALL. I would've thought this feature is available in N900?

.. Update:

Just tried my PayG o2 sim in there and voila! 3G coverage available.. but why not on vodafone?? Any ideas? Thanks
Have you checked that your Vodafone Sim is a 3G capable account first?

Video calling as in Cellular is not supported on the N900 and to be honest with the moaning from carriers in UK about lack of use I don't see it being a missed feature for most people.

You can use Googletalk for video calls on the N900 though which is also cheaper than a 3G video call with most carriers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
i got vodafone, and get 3G most of the time and when i'm connected to voda web its usually 3.5G but when i'm in a call it does drop to 2G for most of the call.

Its working well for me

Strangely this seems to have cured itself with my phone. Same firmware so it must be something at Vodafone's end I think...

...unless I've installed something from extras-devel that cured my phone?

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
You can use Googletalk for video calls on the N900 though which is also cheaper than a 3G video call with most carriers.

OT

Have you got this working? When I try it, the person on the other end can hear and see me well and I can hear them. My video of them, however, comes out as a weird bright coloured image that blurs and refreshed infrequently.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by BillyTheFish View Post
My speed's great (haven't checked speedtest but from downloading/surfing the speed is fine).

It's just phonecalls that are flakey -until I disconnect from the internet that is.
mine is exactly the same!

was on vodaphone in manchester, at work it was pants on data. on t mobile now better but streeming video does not work properly.i think its just under investment by the networks and were not getting what we are paying for, and its just going to get worse

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Birmingham, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Have you checked that your Vodafone Sim is a 3G capable account first?

Video calling as in Cellular is not supported on the N900 and to be honest with the moaning from carriers in UK about lack of use I don't see it being a missed feature for most people.

Not sure about that, but it should be as I bought it from Vodafone and they knew it was an N900!

I know Googletalk is available however haven't used it yet, and from what I've read there is a lot of difficulty in getting it to work properly - but the main point is I still can't communicate with them on the go, without internet and without my contacts needing Googletalk on their phone in the first place.

Whilst I absolutely love the N900 I feel somewhat upset about the fact that it doesn't have a lot of the (simple in some cases) features that we've become so accustomed to in previous Nokia's.

For example I realised yesterday that I can't actually arrange songs in the order that I want in a playlist unless I arrange them in that specific order first, or even that I can't delete individual songs from a playlist - really simple things like this I miss which were so easy in previous Nokia's.

Anyway don't want to go off topic or anything, hopefully these little niggles will fixed in the next firmware update.

I will check on the 3g capability of my sim card, I may just need a different sim...