Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Woodbridge, CT USA
Okay... I'm getting close. However, I have one problem. Currently, when I run gst-launch I get a message

New Clock: GetSystemClock
It takes about 7 seconds between that message showing up and the picture being taken. So, with the script and three photos, it takes over 21 seconds to take the three pictures. Any ideas on why GetSystemClock might be taking so long or how to resolve this?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Woodbridge, CT USA
Well, I'm still having problems with the seven second delay. However, I've tweaked the script to include dbus commands for turning on and off the status led (which also seems to have some timing issues), and added it to my menu, so I can set up my N900, open the lens and adjust the focus, then close the camera app and tap on the hdr app to get five photos.

I've written a little bit about it in my blog post High Dynamic Range (HDR) Imaging on the #n900 Using Gstreamer and Enfuse which I hope to expand upon further. It does seem like with a few of these pieces in place, building an app should be pretty simple.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ahynes1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by davost View Post
Made from 11 pics EV -5.0 to EV 5.0
How did you get it to -5 when the camera interface seems to just go to -2?

Did you just edit your shell script to have first -5 and then +1 11 times until you're at +5? (With a final -5 to get back to zero).

Do others have thoughts on situations in which an HDR photo would make sense?

Do others have thoughts on situations in which an HDR photo would make sense?
Landscape, buildings, tricky lightning, indoors, object photography etc...

All kinds of photography (that doesnt involve moving objects of interest) where a expanded dynamic range makes the final picture look alot more like the eye see´s it.
...Or just some crazy effects for fun

Just google HDR and you see what I mean.

I was able to get out this morning and play around with 3 exposure (-2,0,+2) hdr shots. Here's two of the better ones:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessehirsh For This Useful Post:
hey ahynes i read your blog and followed your instructions but i have a couple of questions..

1st i dont want to process the images i just want to take them so i stop at the part where you get to enfuse.
2nd i tried
"gst-launch v4l2src! ffmpegcolorspace ! pngenc ! filesink location=MyDocs/interval-001.png"
it took an image but when i see it it photos i cant see anything the file is corrupted.. do i need to install ffmpegcolordpace or pngenc?
3rd i dont know how to add the script to take different exposure from s few posts bac. can you give step by step instructions?

thanks

edit: btw is there a way to take pictures in RAW format?

and very nice shots jessehirsh

Last edited by bachagabriel; 2010-02-03 at 03:43.

Originally Posted by davost View Post
The main question for me is how to make the bracketed pictures. The rest can be done on the desktop. I have come to the conclusion that a little C is neccecary in order to do this.

I compiled a quick and dirty script which uses this C utility and takes a -2, 0, +2 sequence with the current settings in focus and exposure.

to run it

1) Place the files contained in the attached file in a non vfat folder eg., ~.
2) Compose and take a picture in with the default camera application.
3) Close camera application without moving the camera too much.
4) Run photo_bracketing.sh from the command line. Wait.

the three files will be called rawHDRtest0.png rawHDRtest1.png and rawHDRtest2.png
Hi Davost,

Great script!

What commands did you use to compile it?
Just want to try a little tweak and I can't get it to recompile.
I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 with gcc 4.4.1.

Thanks,
C

Sorry I got it .. off course it has to be cross compiled!

Cheers,
Chris

Awesome, this is why I love open source!

Great jobs folks, apps like these keep me excited for owning this device albeit a crappy support from nokia.

Now, do we have a tripod mount for the N900 available?