Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Is this thread useful ?
Poll Options
Is this thread useful ?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
I am perfectly aware that it is not (yet?) very reliable. It is clear from the first page. As I said, it's quicker and friendlier.
what if there was only one link to QA queue at the first post and instructions about the karma? IMO that would be hundred times better.

plus of course a link to: http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software

Brilliant debating!
what else can I do? if one tests applications stability etc, with little extra time he could also complete the checklist and vote. that would mean one vote more, better or worse it doesn't matter. either app gets fixed or faster to extras. with this you go to half way and stop there. and the result isn't so good after all.

I don't want to 'help testing software' (in this case at least), I want to know which software I want to install.
I did visit the wiki, but still didn't come across it.
good point, I'll see if there is a logical way to link it to somewhere else too.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
http://wiki.maemo.org/Installing_unstable_applications

e: it can now be found at wiki main page under power users -title
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-01-28 at 11:33.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what if there was only one link to QA queue at the first post and instructions about the karma? IMO that would be hundred times better.

plus of course a link to: http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software
Well to be clear, I am very happy to know about the repository list, but that doesn't mean this thread is useless imo; A program with high Karma may still not be very interesting (to most people), and here it will not make it to the top spot because of that.
edit: oh, that was wrong, I was under the impression there was a hierarchy to each list in this thread.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
good point, I'll see if there is a logical way to link it to somewhere else too.
Thanks. Can you perhaps also add a link to Help_testing_software to the fremantle_extras-testing pages themselves?

Last edited by maartenmk; 2010-01-28 at 12:59.

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
i agree this isnt the best way to deal with this but
  • appwatch - works, not fully functional as yet
  • BlueMaemo - installed and ran okay, but didnt use app so cannot verify it works)
  • Desktop Command Execution Widget - latest version is now stable and you can have multiple widgets with different scripts shown
  • DOSBox - works okay, old DOS games work.. NFS 1 runs very poorly and slowly. games like duke nukem 1 (NOT 3d) will be about the best you will get to run..(?)
  • Duke Nuken 3D CD Version - works better than shareware version, though only useable if you own the original game)
  • midnight commander - great way to start transferring and editing files
  • msaber - runs, but when i used it it was very poor and didnt work
  • Powatool - couldnt live without this one. status menu is configurable (hide and show only), and you can toggle the nokia boot video to quicken device startup.
  • qtirreco - runs, havent tested functionality
  • usbcontrol - comes with maemo-pc connectivity - configure usb.......... works, can set usb network
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
Midori: slow as hell and it has a dependency for some library which makes it impossible to update to PR1.1
QtIrreco: Works OK. I am able to use it with both of my TVs.
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
I wouldn't say VGBA works perfectly. It is stable but the framerate and sound emulation make it an unenjoyable experience.
Thanks for the feedback guys .. !!

I can provide feedback on the app "Shutter." It works on D90 (probably any Nikon DSLR). Just remember to reboot after installation.

i've got some issues with onedotzero apps, since i've flashed my n900 with the last firmware the app doesn t work, when i ll launch the app it laods for 10s and then it automaticaly close. When i reflash my phone with the 42.11 firmware onedotzero works but when i outdate to 42.11 the phone doesn t reconize my sim card and starts without asking my pin code. Has someone the same issue ? Can someone help me.? thx

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is a lot more useful than Karma, which is just a number. Comments give you a direct idea of where a problem lies.

It's nice to have a table with brief comments on the strength and weakness of programs in general. If someone makes a comment that is wrong, someone else can correct it.

Yes, you can find out a lot of information by going through threads or reading bug reports. Especially if you are prepared to make a full-time job out of deciding which programs to try.

OK, did some more updates and added some more app names to the last list ..

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I can provide feedback on the app "Shutter." It works on D90 (probably any Nikon DSLR). Just remember to reboot after installation.
er ... isn't Shutter an IR related app .. ?!

Originally Posted by roulouc View Post
i've got some issues with onedotzero apps, since i've flashed my n900 with the last firmware the app doesn t work, when i ll launch the app it laods for 10s and then it automaticaly close. When i reflash my phone with the 42.11 firmware onedotzero works but when i outdate to 42.11 the phone doesn t reconize my sim card and starts without asking my pin code. Has someone the same issue ? Can someone help me.? thx
Alright thanks for your feedback, hopefully someone will be able to help you ..

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
This is a lot more useful than Karma, which is just a number. Comments give you a direct idea of where a problem lies.

It's nice to have a table with brief comments on the strength and weakness of programs in general. If someone makes a comment that is wrong, someone else can correct it.

Yes, you can find out a lot of information by going through threads or reading bug reports. Especially if you are prepared to make a full-time job out of deciding which programs to try.
Thanks for your support ..

Ahmadka, I am glad you are doing this.

Fellows, I do not understand the amount of energy you are putting in convincing the O.P. and everyone else that this thread is an exercise in futility. I find it laudable that you are all voting karma points to applications that merit them. I think it is awesome that you are testing the software and helping make each program better until it is safe to install for everybody. I am not being sarcastic. I truly thank you. We all need your efforts and benefit from them.

But we also need something simple and direct like this thread.

If I have to look through a dozen locations (I am exaggerating, I know. You get my point) and read diverse definitions to know whether I can install some program or not, then my use of the N900 will become conditioned to having available time to learn about things that I am used to doing intuitively. And I am one of the absolute supporters of this technology. I cannot imagine how someone who is on the fence will feel.

And you know what? We need every single one of those. If our beloved N900s do not sell, and sell very well, what do you think will happen? 5 years from now, it will be rather pointless to remain proud about owning a device that was better than anything out there, but that was so impractical that only some units were sold. The proud and the few will not make this a successful product. Look at the Iphone and the IPad. They are both crap and we all know it. But they sell in huge numbers. Those are not niche products in danger of being terminated, because everyone out there wants them, regardless of whether they have multitasking or not. They sell like apple pancakes and that is all the karma they need.

Keep going Ahmadka. I will contribute to your thread as soon as I receive my N900 this weekend.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by jaark View Post
But not nearly as helpful to the developers (and ultimately themselves) as posting in the comments section of the QA queue for the individual app and voting accordingly there. The vast majority of developers will never see this thread or never notice a comment about their app in it.
How are developers prevented from seeing this thread?

Is someone watching this thread to see if important information is mentioned that developers should know about? If not, why not?

Tags
apps, thread considered harmful, why???