Notices

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I didn't also get the "ln -s /opt/video.avi" link to work, so i made folder "/opt/media/" and put the startup video there. Then in mc went to "usr/share/hildon-welcome/" and i deleted the "media" folder and all is left to do is link the "/opt/media" to "usr/share/hildon-welcome". Thats how i got it to work, i did all this from mc. Hope this helps.

While i did this i also optified my sounds folder and some other stuff and gained extra 10mb of space in root

Last edited by teemui; 2010-02-03 at 12:05.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by slotti View Post
Just followed the instruction on the other post of how to change the boot vid. Smarter now. But I checked the location, and the new vid ended up where it is supposed to be, right next to the original. So this wasn't the problem

Tried about 5 timed....>no luck. I have a question on the default.conf file. The file that I dl'ed from here has this weired symbol, which is a square rather than just a " ' ". Can somebody post how this file should really look like. I found in another post that it should actually be 2 lines under each other. Mine looks like this:

[hildon-welcome]'filename=n900short.avi'

the other post shows it like this though:

[hildon-welcome]
filename=n900short.avi

any idea
Don't use Notepad to edit that file. It is a long story. Just use a different plain text editor. If you don't have one you could do it right on the N900 with Leafpad. (I always use vim, but it takes a bit of a learning curve. Well worth learning it though.) Download the file again and edit it afresh. Let us know if that works.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-02-03 at 14:40.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Nokia should pick this up as the official boot screen

YEEAAHHH!! I finnaly got it to work! I combined all the advices here on the thread and joy joy
I downloaded everything again and edited default.conf with leafpad (not notepad as previous). Put the video in /opt/media/ (created media folder)
And ln -s /opt/media/video.avi video.avi and ta-da!
Can't say what made the difference... but it's all good! Thanks guys!

Sweet! On my n900!!

Originally Posted by teemui View Post
I didn't also get the "ln -s /opt/video.avi" link to work, so i made folder "/opt/media/" and put the startup video there. Then in mc went to "usr/share/hildon-welcome/" and i deleted the "media" folder and all is left to do is link the "/opt/media" to "usr/share/hildon-welcome". Thats how i got it to work, i did all this from mc. Hope this helps.

While i did this i also optified my sounds folder and some other stuff and gained extra 10mb of space in root
How do you tell which folder or apps are in root??

do i need to use the default.conf from here as well?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40803

so it will be default.conf + n900 short right?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Before you use it you should edit default.conf (open it with notepad and change the name of the video).
Or if it's easier you could change the name of the video from "n900 short" to "maemo".

Originally Posted by kopte3 View Post
Before you use it you should edit default.conf (open it with notepad and change the name of the video).
Or if it's easier you could change the name of the video from "n900 short" to "maemo".
after i input: mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/maemo.avi /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/

It keeps telling me No such file or directory. Any reason why? i can't get passed through this part >.>

i have the video name maemo.avi like you said

Last edited by franny87; 2010-02-04 at 02:11.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
You have to put the video in Documents folder.