Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
one can always choose not to install stuff from dev, and in any way one must remove dev & testing stuff before SSU update in order to get the update installed with app manager.
Why do you have to remove them before FOTA?
I've never done that, I prefer have a definitive solution for having free space on rootfs.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
Why do you have to remove them before FOTA?
I've never done that, I prefer have a definitive solution for having free space on rootfs.
in order to resolve conflicts that dev & testing packages cause to updates.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

True for dev, but I've never found a conflict with a testing app.
And I've never installed a dev app as well!

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
To anyone thinking this thread is a "solution" to space on rootfs:

1. There's a reason things are where they are, be it for system speed or other considerations. If you do these mods, at the very least you'll be unable to successfully receive OTA updates and will need to manually install, then reconfigure the changes again. Or worse could happen.

2. There's a reason software is still in extras-devel and not moved to at least extras-testing. Not being optified for Maemo 5 is just one of them. For instance, like ossipena said, they may cause other problems like dependency resolution, particularly when updating. Anything from devel should only be used by those willing and able to fix their device when devel stuff breaks it.

3. If you have a space problem on rootfs, the only real solution is to uninstall the stuff using it up or, if you're really good, optify the offending software yourself.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-02-04 at 11:06.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post

1. There's a reason things are where they are, be it for system speed or other considerations. If you do these mods, at the very least you'll be unable to successfully receive OTA updates and will need to manually install, then reconfigure the changes again. Or worse could happen.

2. There's a reason software is still in extras-devel and not moved to at least extras-testing. Not being optified for Maemo 5 is just on of them. Like ossipena said, they may cause other problems like dependency resolution, particularly when updating. Anything from devel should only be used by those willing and able to fix their device when devel stuff breaks it.

3. If you have a space problem on rootfs, the only real solution is to uninstall the stuff using it up or, if you're really good, optify the offending software yourself.
That's why I've never installed any of the devel apps and I've never optified somewhat myself (except for non-system apps and the boot video).

Thanks Crashdamage for pointing out all these things.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
one can always choose not to install stuff from dev, and in any way one must remove dev & testing stuff before SSU update in order to get the update installed with app manager.
i do see your point, but i always start fresh when new (major) updates come out anyway.............

each to their own

Is there a way to find out which app was installed from -devel or -testing repository?

Is there a way to find out how much rootfs is used by a package/app when you already have it installed?

Originally Posted by BugHunter View Post
Is there a way to find out which app was installed from -devel or -testing repository?

Is there a way to find out how much rootfs is used by a package/app when you already have it installed?
There are several ways to do that from X-Term, but what I suggest to you is using Storage Usage and its packages scan feature.

Just install it from the Extras repository and use the packages scan, you will immediately know what are the not-optified packages (red packages) and how much they occupy in your rootfs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Not that I know of, no. The metadata around installed apps doesn't seem to include the originating repository.

You can use StorageUsage as I've explained here. There's also a number of perl scripts around to do this sort of thing - the ones I modified and use can be found here - there's some documentation in the zip file.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post

1. There's a reason things are where they are, be it for system speed or other considerations...
whoah!

I had to check the top of the page after that one. I thought I may have fallen into an iphone forum there for a minute...

Busting the "manufacturer knows best" attitude is half of what this forum is all about, isn't it?