Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm thinkin' it may be related to signal quality. I have had that happen a number of times when trying to connect to an outside signal. It goes away when I'm right on top of it though.
Right, I get that also. In this case, however, I am sitting directly at my router. 4 Green bars.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm thinkin' it may be related to signal quality. I have had that happen a number of times when trying to connect to an outside signal. It goes away when I'm right on top of it though.
I've noticed that as one factor of many. That's one reason I added an external antenna to my pocket linksys. No problems afterward.

RE:linux and link local IP address. Is the following something I can do with the
tablet?

Most modern Linux distributions already include full IPv4 link-local support. Older Linux distributions (and similar Unix systems) that don't know how to route to link-local can be manually configured to send link-local packets directly to local devices with two simple commands, as shown below. If your primary interface is not "eth0" then substitute the name of your primary interface instead.

route add -net 169.254.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0 metric 99
route add default dev eth0 metric 99

The first command says "if you don't know better, route link-local directly to Ethernet", and the second says, "if you don't know better, then route everything directly to Ethernet". The "metric 99" means that these routes are low priority. If there's any routing table entry with a higher priority (for example, metric 0), it takes precedence. That means it's safe to add these to rc.local and have them *always* be active, because they only take effect when there is no higher priority routing table entry to tell the kernel what to do. You can put these two commands in your /etc/rc.local file to execute at startup time.

For Linux distributions that use the /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file, you can put the following two lines in that file instead of using the route commands above.

eth0 net 169.254.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 metric 99
eth0 net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 99

These two lines tell the Linux kernel that 169.254/16 is defined to always be on the local link, no matter what, and if there's some other address that you have no idea how to reach, then it's at least worth a try to see if it's reachable on the local link.

Originally Posted by aung View Post
I had the same problem my n800.
1. my work place used free wireless, can connect my laptop. not N800.
2. always Network error!!!

Someone can fix for our problem, I really thank you very much. I am new Linux user.
Please help us
ThThat's the type of problem that I am having. I connect to my home router, but not a general wi-fi in public. I can't even connect to my phone's web service. This tablet is useless.

I've had a tough time connecting to THE INTERNET with my home network using a linksys wrt54g using the latest firmware for all devices. All my other devices connect just fine every time. The best work around I've come up with so far to connect my n800 is to delete my home connection setting from the n800, and shut it off. Then physically unplug my router's and all other gadgets attached, including broadband modem, from the power supply. Then power on the modem and then router and then my vonage and print server boxes. When all is up and running, then I turn on my n800, let it find the network, connect, enter key etc and bingo, I'm online. I have no problem finding my router at any time. But to get online at home this is what I have to do to establish the initial link between my n800 and the internet. I suspect my vonage router as interfering as I sometimes can get online with my n800 when I unplug the vonage router instead of powering everything down. Any ideas how to configure my router to resolve this suspected conflict? Wireless internet connections elsewhere are just fine.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
FWIW, I have a wrt54g router and a vonage linksys router and have never had any trouble accessing the internet since January when I got the n800.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Another WRT54G(S) working perfectly with an N800 (and 770) and a bunch of other devices (Wii, a second WRT54GS in client-bridged mode, iPAQ, PSP).

martin2952: What is your problem when you don't go through the routine you outlined - does your N800 manage to "see" and connect to your WRT54G, but is it that it can't establish (route) a connection to the internet? Is it a DHCP problem? Do you have IP address conflicts in your network (Vonage screwing things up?)

Originally Posted by martin2952 View Post
Any ideas how to configure my router to resolve this suspected conflict? Wireless internet connections elsewhere are just fine.
I'd suspect overlapping address ranges or multiple dhcp servers on your home network. Only one device should be routing, the rest should have routing disabled.