Hello all,

I just got my N800 and I love it. I installed Maemo Mapper, and am trying to download maps. Initially I tried to download about 3GB worth (most of the northeast at zoom levels 2-4).

My WLAN idle time kicked in (I think) and the internet connection stopped.

So, then I decided to just do zoom level 4, which it said would be about 160MB.

It is taking HOURS to download. I can't imagine it should take this long to download only 160MB. I have the maps being stored on an external 4GB SD card that's been formatted to 1024K blocks.

Help!

Chris

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
You might be running into the metalayer-crawl CPU suck. Same thing happened to me with all those gazillions of little files. So I just nuked the crawler process. Sorry I can't give you the step-by-step right now but it's a known issue if you just Search the forum. As far as I know, the only downside is that you lose automatic indexing of media files for the built-in player, which I don't use anyway. Oh, in a similar vein, I also configured Canola not to scan that particular card location.

I applied the bug 978 fix (modifying the init.d script). Before I rebooted, the crawler was around 60% (with no apps running). After I rebooted, it was down to like 5%, so I guess that's good.

But alas, the maps are still downloading incredibly slow. I'm doing a large area (most of the Northeast/New England) at zoom level 3.

When I ssh in and watch the files appearing in the directory, they're just not coming in that quickly.

Is there anything else I can check/tweak?

Thanks everyone,

Chris