Posts: 85 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Hi All,

I have a Qt app and I want the users to be able to save some config settings in a simple text file.

I have it all working (now there's a miracle), but I'm saving the file to /home/user/MyDocs/myapp.config

I'm pretty sure that's a lousey place to put it!

Is there a convention for where apps should store data files? for my next app I intend implementing a lot more file IO.

Shep

I seem to recall a post or two regarding this recently, however I cannot recall where they are.

When saving application settings on Linux (and therefore Maemo) you want to save them in the user's home directory, in a subdirectory or file whose name begins with a period.

Thus the path to your settings directory (or file) would be:

/home/usr/.myapp
or
/home/usr/.myapp.conf

You can see this on your device if you go to the terminal and type:

ls -la

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Hi All,

I have a Qt app and I want the users to be able to save some config settings in a simple text file.

I have it all working (now there's a miracle), but I'm saving the file to /home/user/MyDocs/myapp.config

I'm pretty sure that's a lousey place to put it!

Is there a convention for where apps should store data files? for my next app I intend implementing a lot more file IO.

Shep
If only the app should modify that file, you should put it in '/home/usr/.myapp', in the current location the user will see the file when in mass storage mode, and some users will delete it by accident .

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Tho, if you plan on storing large files (videos, music, maps, whatever) you should probably put them on the mass storage partition. For my tests I use /home/user/MyDocs/.appName/ . It will show up to users in Mass Storage mode, but not when using PC-Suite Mode... Either way, that should be a place where you store non-essential large data.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Alcanena / Portugal
I use QSettings in my Qt apps. It creates a config file for you in .config/CompanyName/AppName.conf. You can set the company name and application name when creating the QSettings object:

QSettings settings("CompanyName", "AppName");
settings.setValue("myConfigValue", 10);

I think this is the easiest way to save config data in your application.

Peter

Last edited by pbouda; 2010-02-06 at 20:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbouda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by pbouda View Post
I use QSettings in my Qt apps. It creates a config file for you ...
Peter
Thanks a million for this, I have implemented this now and it works great.