Notices

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bloomington, IL
When I installed easy debian chroot packages from the package manager it added some launcher icons for things such as the ice weasel webrowser and synaptic package manager to my N900 "more applications" I was wondering if there is a way I can add launchers for other applications I have installed on my Debian chroot?

Regards,
~Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to Jef91 For This Useful Post:
I am also interested in this. The easy debian chroot is very impressive and nicely integrated, but I would love to be able to add and remove application shortcuts from the standard menu rather than in the lxde desktop.

The desktop entries are stored in /usr/share/applications/hildon. You just need to make a new file myprogram.desktop, which contains the same fields as the existing .desktop files, and set the Exec field to be "debbie myprogram", where myprogram is the command you want to run.

For example, here is my gnumeric.desktop:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=GNumeric
GenericName=GNumeric
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=deblet

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arajantie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You can also create them in /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon with the 51 firmware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Creating shortcut files (*.desktop) in /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon not always works in version 51 - maybe Catorise messes things up a bit (using only classic /usr/share/applications/hildon)...

is there a code than can be entered in the .desktop file so that the application when opened runs in fullscreen without the maemo status bar above(with the title of th application/clock/close button etc..)? thanks!

Originally Posted by arajantie View Post
The desktop entries are stored in /usr/share/applications/hildon. You just need to make a new file myprogram.desktop, which contains the same fields as the existing .desktop files, and set the Exec field to be "debbie myprogram", where myprogram is the command you want to run.

For example, here is my gnumeric.desktop:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=GNumeric
GenericName=GNumeric
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=deblet
I am having real problems with these desktop shortcuts!

I've copied this text into a .desktop file in the /usr/share/applications/hildon directory, changing only the icon entry.

I've created a second file for gftp too and both these shortcuts are showing up on the desktop with the correct icons. The problem is, they don't do anything when presssed!

It's baffling, given that "debbie gnumeric" and "debbie gftp" both work as desired when executed from the normal (user) terminal.

Ok, I'm lost now. I've tried all kinds of combinations including the simple example in the wiki...
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Gnumeric
Icon=gumeric_icon
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Type=Application
... and a copy of the existing, working desktop file for Open Office ...
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Gnumeric
GenericName=Gnumeric
Exec=debbie gnumeric
Icon=gnumeric_icon
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
I just cannot get my icons to do anything! Can anyone help?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by roryh86 View Post
is there a code than can be entered in the .desktop file so that the application when opened runs in fullscreen without the maemo status bar above(with the title of th application/clock/close button etc..)? thanks!
Sadly, no. You have to use the "Set Deb HW Keys" icon and then you can make (any) apps fullscreen with either Ctrl + UpArrow or Ctrl + Space.

(EDIT: Thanks, Davey101 for pointing me to this old thread. Sorry, I don't know why your icons aren't working! )

Originally Posted by qole View Post
(EDIT: Thanks, Davey101 for pointing me to this old thread. Sorry, I don't know why your icons aren't working! )
Damn you!!!

Edit: it's working now for reasons unknown.

Last edited by Davey101; 2010-05-20 at 18:10.