Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
qwazix you need to enter a username. I remember reading that the cifs module always requires a username to be entered. That's why you get the invalid argument.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pulzar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
As a Linux noob it took me ages, but I managed to mount a network drive. It is a share on my WinXP machine.

I do have the same speed issue, it is not quite fast enough to stream 1000kbit videos. But I also tried Konqueror via Easy Debian (thanks Qole!), and it was not much faster. Same story with Orb, so it may be an issue of the N900. Weird, because downloads via Wifi easily go up to 600KB.

This is what I did in the end:
- installed rootsh
- installed kernel-cifs and ntfs from -extras. That was easy enough
- tried the commands from the first post. Didn't manage, probably because I don't understand the system well enough.
- copied the cifsmount script of GameboyRMH from the browser in WinXP, saved it to a text file, onto the N900, and used Midnight commander to copy it o my N900 user/home path. (in the process, renaming it to cifsmount.sh, and using the editor of MC to remove the ^M characters...)
- ran Xterminal, and input:
sudo gainroot
chmod u+x cifsmount.sh
/home/user/cifsmount.sh servername 192.168.0.103 Video user password

As you see I only managed to get it working by adding the '.sh' in the commands, and by adding /home/user/ in front of the cifsmount.sh command.

Apart from the speed issue it works very well, the share shows up in file manager and kmplayer.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
thanks pulzar, it worked. I never thought about it since it's a free share...
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:19.

I can't find which line exactly is needed to be put in sudoers... Does anybody know?

did anybody notice fast battery drainage when (strangely) NOT connected to the home wifi? Mine was on 3G instead and the battery lasted less than 8 hours with no use at all...
now i uninstalled the kernel modules to see what will happen. I don't remember to have installed anything else lately except an update to bluetooth dun and simplenotewidget.
________
Vaporizer Review

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:19.

3G connections drain the battery fast.

I know but it have the device over a month now and it never drained the battery so fast. I did not notice any improvement after I uninstalled the modules. Maybe something stayed in the device, or maybe where I work the last few days there is a lot of switching between 3g - 3.5g and this drains the battery. I will post more results when I have
________
Novana Residence Condo Pattaya

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:20.

Hey for those who would like a speed increase on cifs shares; I think I found the "magic" bullet. I have no ran very long with it; but copying from my server the speed was doubled. ;-)

Anyone interested....... Lalalalala, I can't hear you.

Ok, I guess I'll stop teasing you all. On your mount command add:

",direct" to your -o command. So:

-o username=x,password=y,ip=z,direct

Thats it, that simple. I ran several tests over the last couple days including changing the rsize (which does speed it up about 10-20%) but direct was double the speed.

Please note "direct" will disable all buffering; so if you are using lots of editing lots of tiny files, buffering might be better for you.

If you are streaming stuff from your server, then you really don't need to "buffer" it via the cifs driver and "direct" is considerably faster..

Nathan.
P.S. I also compiled the smbfs.ko file to try and use (to see if their was any speed difference) -- I could NOT get it to work at all; I got error upon error that now after a couple days of put-zing with it I'm declaring it DOA. If anyone really wants the smbfs.ko file, I can give it to you, but I couldn't use the mount command to mount anything with it. smbmount basically redirects to mount.cifs which of course is cifs, not smbfs and mount -t smbfs just throws errors.

Last edited by Nathan; 2010-02-12 at 03:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Hi Guys

Last night I created a folder called NAS under media and mounted it via:

mount -tcifs //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/media/Music/Music /media/NAS -ouser=xxxx,pass=xxxxxx,ip=xxxxxx

Worked and I was able to rsync over some music. The N900 froze half way though. Restarted it and now when I run it I get no such media or device but I can ping it from the N900

I have checked on /media and there is a NAS folder. Removed it, re-added it, reun the command, same issue.

What have I done wrong?

Also - do I need to alter the line so I can get it added to fstab?

Thanks

Scott

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
@Nathan: I've tried the ",direct" option in an attempt to increase the speed of the cifs mount, but for me it turns out there is no noticeable difference with or without that option.

The average time it takes to copy 100Mbit from my server is nearly 30sec. - compared with the 12 sec. it takes to scp it. Browsing through a folder with images or viewing a video is hardly possible.

I'm curious to know experiences of others.

Tags
cifs, ntfs, samba, smb, truecrypt