Notices

The Playstation 3 supports Remote Play thru which you can access music, video, some games etc. on the PS3 and even watch live or recorded TV if you have the PlayTV peripheral.

There's an open source implementation for Mac OS X/Windows/Linux called Open Remote Play. There's even a bounty of about 1500 CAD for someone to port it to the iPhone, but I'm guessing it might be a lot easier to port it to the N900 than that since it uses things like curl and SDL.

So, wondering how easy it would be to get this running and if anyone would be willing to give it a try, seems like yet another way the N900 could work really well with the PS3, we already have: BlueMaemo, possibility to use the Sixaxis on the N900 and PlayTV videos can be copied to it and even played (but the playback lags a bit unfortunately).

I've not come across that, but I have an N900, PS3 and playTV so I would be extremely interested in getting it working. I will have a play today and I am off towards the end of next week so I should have a little more time to look into it. Thanks for the pointer.

it is possible but with 1-2 fps so not really useful

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/ope...n900-released/

The Following User Says Thank You to CrckMc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
<insert rant about market-oriented commercial bahemoth putting UI over usability that restricts an opensource implementation of an app...>
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
it is possible but with 1-2 fps so not really useful

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/ope...n900-released/
I guess the issue is decoding h264/MPEG4 with ffmpeg is just too slow on the N900 then..? I suppose the hardware could handle the video with a decoder that takes advantage of it's features.

<edit>

Actually I guess there may be some work on this, there's a bug with interesting comments on the open-rp issue tracker about it.

Last edited by slux; 2010-02-07 at 12:23.