Active Topics

Whenever attempting to connect to an open wifi connection,i usually get the following
error messages ( 90% of the time ) ;

network problem.
Network connection error,try again?
Connected with link local ip address.

Can someone please point me in the right direction, to find out what these mean?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It means the network didn't issue a valid IP address to your N800 - perhaps the network isn't running a DHCP server, or you have failed to connect correctly and have not received the DHCP broadcast. Either way you have ended up without an IP address, so the N800 assigns you a "link local" IP address instead.

MILHOUSE>referringl to your response to Robby .When such a problem exists are there any alternatives to getting a connection? THANKS

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Try assigning a static IP address for the connection (go to the Advanced section of the Connection configuration dialog) however I'm no expert on this error so could be talking b0llox.

I've hard a lot of problems estabishing an internet connection. Tried 2 dif linksys routers and a belkin router. caN connect easily to router, but not internet. wIReless laptops no prob. besT workaround is to delete saved connection in n800 and power n800 down. then POwer off your internet modem and then power off router. power Up modem and wait for couple mins. then poWEr on router and wait a couple mins again for stuff to find itself. finally pOWer up n800 and get online. will make A new connection...type in any password etc and save. should get U online again.also change 'idle time' to 'never'at some point so the internet connection stays up. never power dOWn or leave the house again, i guess. have to do THis every time an internet connection needs to start up. why? hopefulLY someone out there knows what needs to be changed in some setup. btw, mac filterINg, dmz and firewall off makes no diff. just a total hard Power down and up of modem and router with delete of n800 connection setting and power down and up of n800 fixes prob. like starting from scraTCh. every day's a new day.

Originally Posted by robbyf View Post
Whenever attempting to connect to an open wifi connection,i usually get the following
error messages ( 90% of the time ) ;

network problem.
Network connection error,try again?
Connected with link local ip address.

Can someone please point me in the right direction, to find out what these mean?
Thus the reason mine is going back to the Nokia store. I have tried for 2 weeks now oto troubleshoot it, but I am frustrated and want my money back. I don't want to have to go though hoops to get an Internet tablet to connect to the Internet.

Lilnyc since so many posters have encountered the same problem is it an issue with the tablet or something that can be fixed .I'm not experienced enough to know and even with the suport here no solution has worked.

I have had no luck connecting to free WiFi access at the local laundromat. I keep getting message that, "Authentication Failed".
What does that mean and how do i correct the problem?

Also my current cellphone does not have Bluetooth.
Can anybody recommend a compatible cellphone with Bluetooth for my Nokia N800? My cellphone contract has expired so I am shopping for a new phone anyway. Verizon is my cellphone carrier if that makes any difference.