Posts: 54 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I just left the following comment to Linus' blog:

Hi Linus!

I agree with you that Nexus One is a marvelous piece of gadgetry and I feel the same way about the Android platform...

but one thing bugs me about the way Google approaches the "open development" idea. They have gotten so much from linux kernel and from the open source community directly and indirectly but they seem to only leech the good things from the kernel and give nothing in return. This is a huge issue and it's causing big long term problems and headache for example with driver development for linux kernel (e.g. framebuffer issues etc.). In my opinion there is no excuse to rudely dismiss upstreaming the kernel bits they work upon just because they are so BIG they don't have to care.

I think someone should confront Google Android platform developers about this issue... and as the one of the head devils (pääpiru) of the open source world You would be a great one to do just that.

I thank you in advance if you have had the patience for reading this far and wish you would read just a bit more from following link:
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/andro...-problems.html

Yours truly,
E.T.

I know there is not much chance of him reading all the comments or reacting to those but anyways I thought that at least I have tried something.

Hopefully the comment reflects the thoughts/feelingsof other Maemo/Linux/Open-source members as well.

EDIT: thanks for bbns for the link

Last edited by ezcola; 2010-02-08 at 15:14. Reason: added thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to ezcola For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
and on February 7, 2010 8:01 PM, Linus commented:

everybody: my dad got himself a N900, so there's one in the family. Don't worry about it, there's room for more than one Linux phone.

I like the Nexus One, maybe I'd like the N900 too. But I certainly don't like cellphones enough to have two.

I'll just say the same as others here.
Google has been really throwing Nexus One around to the bloggers and what not. There's example one guy in Youtube who got free Nexus One even when he hadn't metioned Nexus One once and didn't make a review of the test Nexus One he got for couple of weeks before.

I guess with the finnish connection he might have bought himself N900, but then if the Navigation was one of the top 3 features, he made the right choice. Plus he lives in states nowadays so it might be that he doesn't even know N900 exists

Why we are doing this so big problem for community? I know that people that are not phone enthusiastic don't pay so much attention to their phones. Linus seems to be one of those. I guess his father and uncle are much more interested of those things due their profession in news business.

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
Did you read the timestamps?
Yes, I did. And? What did you see about the timestamps that I didn't? He had posted that message way before this thread was started.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Just some thing to add to my last post...

He bought the device himself - as far as we can tell from his posting. So there's no "company favors" happening there - one argument done.

He prefers a mobile device that can simplify his ability to get to points as he is an evangelist who speaks and travels much; the N900 and other Linux mobiles don't do this as well - argument #2 done

He prefers a mobile that fits into his life without fuss, and more or less shows up when he needs it and not when it needs him; contrary to the common (perception) of use of a mobile or any computing device in this community - argument #3 done

Your opinion matters to him because he's unable to make an intelligent decision for himself towards what solutions work best for him, yet you freely choose to use the work and influence of his hands to forward the stance that your opinion towards computing is more valid than his - argument #4 makes no logical sense, especially for this spatially/logically-minded community.

The religious-like fervor of some persons towards what people should and shouldn't do is amazing. And as a Christian, I've probably got a better handle on this type of misguided manipulation than I care to. If you want to convince him that the N900 is a better choice, roll up your sleeves and build a better ecosystem than the one he uses for his day-to-day job. Google did, and they won his faith... step up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Yes, I did. And? What did you see about the timestamps that I didn't?
Maybe you need to consider time zones.

He had posted that message way before this thread was started.
No, he did not.

I only started this thread after I read every single then existing comment to the blog post.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Calm down guys, Linus probably wanted a PHONE.
The N900 is NOT a phone, it's a TABLET that happens support limited phone functions. (So says Nokia)

Time zones could mess that view up, yes.
He wasn't particularly slow replying to those posts though, so I still maintain it's wrong to say he ignored them.

Time zones could mess that view up, yes.
He wasn't particularly slow replying to those posts though, so I still maintain it's wrong to say he ignored them.
Well, to be clear, he has no obligation to respond to any comment at all. And he is perfectly free to use a wince phone, any other phone, or no phone at all. He did say that the idea of a linux phone is neat.

But it is a fact that he had already answered several comments that came after the n900 comments and that his mention of the n900 was several hours after the start of this thread. So I still maintain that at the start of this thread it was not wrong to say that he ignored them.

I would prefer to let this drop, but I do not like being falsely accused of being wrong.

Tags
linux wars