Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Normally I would say use your credit card company to do the work for you. However, you've got this through Voda. Have you talked to them? You mentioned others are afflicted as well. Take it to the press, preferrably national television consumer shows. In my country there's a small courts appeal for anything under £1500. The cost of a process is limited to £50 or so, so it's a small risk. If something similar is available in your country, sue them.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
To paraphrase vodaphone.

"You did not buy it from us you have to return it via Nokia. "

They have a store very close to the Nokia Flag ship store in london so I went into there first.

EDIT: It was purchased via NokiaRetail.co.uk under a vodafone contract

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
If i remember correctly, there was a post about someone's USB coming out as well. I think they ended up fixing it, but I can't seem to find the thread

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
You mentioned others are afflicted as well. Take it to the press, preferrably national television consumer shows. In my country there's a small courts appeal for anything under £1500. The cost of a process is limited to £50 or so, so it's a small risk. If something similar is available in your country, sue them.
The following site discusses the issue.

http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-an-n900-risk/

It dosent seem to be a large number of people but it is going to get larger as more people use the device.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I would try Nokias support forums and try to get contact directly to Nokia by email.

This has been discussed here couple of times and Texrat has made couple of nice blog entrys about this.

If more this kind of stuff pops i´m starting to get really worried. This could be good example for Nokia to show how to provide support fast & efficently and how to construct good public image. Classic example for students how to take care of small amount customers and how it affects the image of company in the eyes of handfull of heavy users (who probably are best marketers for Nokia)

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
nokia will say it was due to outside interference... e.g. you damaged the phone.

there is no warranty for that. it certainly looks like a design flaw. how much does the repair cost?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Weymouth, UK
Nokia Retail should offer a refund or repair as its faulty goods.

I think even they mention that you can cancel at any time within a set limit as per their own terms.

read here: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...ights/mobiles/

Not cool Nokia/Nokia Retail.

This surely must be covered under some UK consumer law if not by manufacturer warranty, goods must be fit for purpose and that surely includes the usb connector on the device. My own N900 is just over a week old and i can feel the usb connector wobbling too, and it's taken no abuse. I remember the original thread that mentioned the problem and it was one of the first things I checked - it has definitely got wobblier over this short period of time. There's no doubt in my mind that this is a fault with the handset, and I would have expected Nokia to have this covered.

I hate to say it, but if you contiue to get no joy I'd be raising this problem up with blogs such as engadget etc until Nokia pays attention. Unfortunately this will do nothing but harm n900 reputation :|

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-02-09 at 13:24.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
I just saw on your old post:

"My phone was only 6 days old when this happened. "

I just saw on consumerdirect you are entitled to a 7 WORKING day cooling off period if you purchased online

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...g/your-rights/

In addition, you are entitled to a seven working-day 'cooling off' period. - since they mention working days that is 9 full days (minimum)

If all fails buy an external charger

Last edited by 77h; 2010-02-09 at 13:17.

Originally Posted by luflux View Post
Nokia Retail should offer a refund or repair as its faulty goods.

I think even they mention that you can cancel at any time within a set limit as per their own terms.

read here: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...ights/mobiles/

That is an interesting post.

The bit at the bottom about a retailer not being allowed to tell me to go to the manufacturer.

I have posted the following to NokiaRetail

Sir

The phone was 6 days old when it stoped charging.

The phone has not been dropped or damaged in any way. It has been treeted with kid gloves

All I have done is use the Nokia supplied charger to charge the phone.

Others have posted stating they have had the same problem as pointed out before.

I will point you to the following consumer protection laws as provided by

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...ights/mobiles/

Your rights

If you have bought a mobile phone, it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose and as described.

When a mobile phone doesn’t meet some or all of these conditions, follow the advice below:

If you have only had the phone a few weeks or haven’t had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably entitled to a refund for a fault or poor description, or alternatively you may request a replacement.
If the fault is only minor and can easily be put right, it is reasonable to accept a repair. This won’t stop you claiming a replacement or refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory.
If you have had the phone longer than a few weeks or have had a reasonable opportunity to check it, you are probably still entitled to a repair or replacement. A repair should be carried out within a reasonable period of time and without causing you significant inconvenience. Any repair should restore it to a satisfactory condition. If this does not happen, you are entitled to a replacement or compensation. This could be a sum of money or the cost of having somebody else repair the phone.
If the phone cannot be replaced or repaired economically, you are entitled to a refund. The trader may make a reduction from the price you paid to allow for the use you have had from the phone.
If you are out of pocket in any other way, you may be entitled to compensation over and above the price of the phone.

The trader must sort out your problem, not the manufacturer

Remember, if you are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or compensation, it is the trader who must sort out your problem. The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer or to claim through a guarantee or warranty.

The phone is your responsibility to replace not the manufacturer.

""The trader cannot tell you to go back to the manufacturer or to claim through a guarantee or warranty.""

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty