Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Russia
I know that it can be disabled using flasher-3.5 --set-rd-flags=no-omap-wd --set-rd-flags=no-ext-wd --enable-rd-mode
But I want to remove it from the system completely.
If I rebuild the kernel without watchdog phone reboots in a minute after I turn it on. I know that there is a software lifeguard. How can I disable it? Which script checks if no-omap-wd and no-ext-wd flags are set?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
This guy has made a package for Fedora to do it:
http://alexeytorkhov.blogspot.com/20...okia-n900.html

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
This guy has made a package for Fedora to do it:
http://alexeytorkhov.blogspot.com/20...okia-n900.html
Thanks the the link.
I see they have made config files for watchdog daemon that tells the hardware watchdog that the system is alive. But that is not exactly disabling ore removing watchdog from the system.

From what I found out the software lifeguard is DSME (Device State Management Entity) and I believe that it can be removed from the system. But services use dsmetool for startup. A have not found out yet what exactly does it do. But startup scripts can be rewritten not to use it so that should not be a big problem.

Is the hardware watchdog disabled if I use the kernel without it's support? Is some process writing data to watchdog devise the only solution to keep the system alive? Can I change some settings in kernel to disable watchdog (maybe some boot option)? Do flags that flasher can set change some settings in hardware (watchdog firmware ore something) and not only software?
Right now I am using a kernel without watchdog support. So even if there are some boot flags they would not work as kernel does not know about watchdog. So flasher must have changed something else when it enabled R&D mode.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
I don't know any more than just using that guy's scripts. What about just doing this, without putting it in R&D mode:

Code:
flasher-3.5 --set-rd-flags=no-omap-wd
flasher-3.5 --set-rd-flags=no-ext-wd

These flags only work with R&D mode. With only them and R&D mode disabled phone reboots so the watchdog is enabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to @SR For This Useful Post:
The watchdog .rpm linked above has been working for me ok for a couple hours now, fyi.