Closed Thread
Are you realy a hacker?
Off the top of my head I can think of 3 ways to delete emails and that doesn't include a firmware update. There may be more ways but I have never read the instructions.

Last edited by JonWW; 2010-02-11 at 18:51.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't see a troll. I see somebody with a vested interest asking other folks what they see as the positives where they might not currently see it.

The whole "jump on anybody/everything that doesn't wholly praise the N900" **** is getting old quick.
Are you sure?
He wrote a blog slagging it of first then invited us to read it.

Originally Posted by allmine1976 View Post
Because stating the n900 has only 2 - 3 hours battery life is a lie not to mention some of the other ******** he wrote .
It depends on how you use the phone and how long you expect the battery life to last while doing the same tasks compared to another phone. If I do the same tasks on a 5 year old phone and the battery lasts 6 hours but only lasts 2 on the n900 then it would be a huge disappointment to me.

If he/she clearly states things that are not true about the phone then yes, I might consider them a troll.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kurt Stephens
Mail app does not recognize .ics files as calendar invites, lack of this simple feature makes calendaring with the rest of the world impossible.
Calendar invites? Never heard. Sorry.

There is no OpenVPN or VPNC client that works out of the box. I had to hack it to get it to work.
Hack? WTF? Configure or did he do some real coding?

Battery life is terrible, lasts at most 2-3 hrs.
Maybe for him but not all

Mail for Exchange does not work as advertised. Can’t get it to work at all. Very vague errors messages.
Provisioning issue or just some other error. People reporting here that it works with 2003 and 2007 and some people have little issues.

There is no ability to search email.
Yesss...now we are speaking. This is enchantment that should in my opinion have been there out of box.

No ability to search across all apps; even PalmOS has this back in 1994.
Yes. This is also weird. We have tracker process that is probably able to index also documents, but we do not have Spotlight like utility. Some program popped to extras but yeah it would be nice thing to have out of box.

You cannot delete an email without opening it.
Long press email?

The standard Jabber client will not connect, but the hacked-up Pidgin client will.
And so?

Too many competing mechanisms/apps/conduits to sync email/contacts/calendar.
Be more detailed just jibberish to me.

Cannot import .ics files or .vcard files, so you are stuck using some other conduit or 3rd party, if you can find something that works.
Okey this sucks if it really is true. .edit it's not ture?

Does not support any “standard” sync protocols except Exchange, which doesn’t work.
Exchange works but seems to have on SOME people some issues. And WTF is "standard" its standard or it's not standard.

I could go on and on.
Please so we can really see is this user error or some bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Maluka, wtf on that picture man!? That's offensive.

I don't see a troll. I see somebody with a vested interest asking other folks what they see as the positives where they might not currently see it.

The whole "jump on anybody/everything that doesn't wholly praise the N900" **** is getting old quick.
African guy here. Sorry you take offence to a common internet meme.

I'm sick of these threads with provocative titles by people who could have done their research before buying the device. There are enough of us on here already giving feedback, making feature requests, filing bugs etc. Most of the OP's complaint list is filled will lies.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Are you sure?
He wrote a blog slagging it of first then invited us to read it.
I don't like his tactic - that I can admit. But as it stands, the N900 stands on its own merits. The complaints around Modest/e-mail app are notorious around here and within a few posts, the majority of what was considered a problem - inability to delete until read for instance - were shown to be wholly incorrect.

There are a few bugs surrounding the e-mail app, like the inability to copy from an e-mail until you respond to it, but that's been pointed out via Bugzilla and soon fixed.

Read the blog or don't - to be honest, this thread could have been cut off at the pass via showing that some observations are false, the rest addressed in the Maemo bugzilla or Brainstorm areas.

With that said, instead of attacking, show dude how he's wrong. Because... he is wrong in a lot of those things. And the facts are here in this very forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
African guy here. Sorry you take offence to a common internet meme.
Trini-born Black American here... I don't like the word at all in any form. Don't care, that's why I reported it. Will do so again in the future.

I'm sick of these threads with provocative titles by people who could have done their research before buying the device. There are enough of us on here already giving feedback, making feature requests, filing bugs etc. Most of the OP's complaint list is filled will lies.
I agree. But guess what? Facts are better than just blindly attacking. The facts will educate. Attacking folks, in a public forum will only incite a mob. One that's easily visible by lurkers, potential buyers and other folks as a negative.

Know better? Then teach it. Act better. Want to take the low-road, then continue. I find it ugly as ****.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Kurt,

If you are disappointed, you have no one to blame but yourself. Did Nokia ever call the N900 a "smart phone"? I doubt it. Many people around here were very up front telling every one what to expect and what not to expect from the N900, my self included:

http://www.themaemo.com/and-now-for-...iller-feature/

You make a lot of assertions on your post without qualification. Because of that, they become false assertions. For example, you say: "Battery life is terrible, lasts at most 2-3 hrs". That statement, as is, is blatantly false. There are many people that can get 24 hours or more from their device, my self included. Yes, there are some bugs that can eat up your battery life at the moment. Those are being addressed. I my self reported on one. But still, what you should have said is: " My device's battery life is terrible. It lasts me at most 2-3 hrs." Sure, that would be a less sensationalist statement, which is surely not what you wanted from your post, but it would make it more truthful.

In your conclusion, you fail to recognize that not every one is like you. Not everyone is looking for the same features that you are apparently looking for. By simply telling *everyone* to ignore the N900 you may be misleading some for which the N900 would be the best device currently available. I myself consider it such, for my needs and personal use cases. So, there, I proved you wrong.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-02-11 at 21:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Maluka, wtf on that picture man!? That's offensive.

Posting I hate the N900 threads here is a bit like walking into a vegetarian restaurant and starting a discussion about all vegetarians being bad hunters.

You may have a very valid point. But most of the people will just consider you an obnoxious idiot.

We on this list know about the faults of the device. As far as software faults go we know them here better then anywhere else.

We chose the device despite those faults due to other advantages or personal preferences.

We post in the hope of helping to get improvements.

This guy is almost as bad as the talk.maemo poster who think certain very famous Linux developer happy with his new nexus one should be answering questions about the N900. It isn't what he wants he dosen't know much about it leave the poor bugger alone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Its depressing, most of this information seems to be wrong.........
It seems as if the user may have used the N900 for all of about 5 minutes.

Hacking the phone to get VPN working? Does he know what hacking is? :|

Closed Thread

Tags
complaints