Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If the failure rate indicated here is any reflection of the at-large situation, Nokia will not be able to dismiss this out of hand forever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Well, let's see how we get on. If Nokia refuse to cover the usb connector then we could try:

a) create a temporary website with a petition. Everyone who has had problems could sign it.
b) inform major news sites about the site
c) contact major shareholders of Nokia and direct thier attention to the site too
d) inform your government representitive and maybe put some pressure on Nokia

It is company policy for many corporations to delay fixing stuff like this as long as they can, hoping the consumer gives up.

For the record my usb connector is rock solid. My cat kicked my charging n900 off the table but so far n900 is fine.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
Honestly , no , i love the device so far , i can't say it will stay that way forever, as i can't see me ever being able to understand the uses of the terminal, understanding the coding or programming etc , but as for the charging issue i just hope that it will be resolved and allow me to use the device with confidence knowing it will be covered by warranty one day !

In all i dont know of a better mobile "device" ( not getting caught in that saga) that i have used or owned in the last 10 years in terms of possibilities, just wish they would hurry up lol

Sorry for rambling, but in summary keep it, learn it , use it

James

I am another victim of this.
Bought my n900 in sweden a week before xmas. Could not realy use it at first since i had to wait for the software upgrade to allow my 3 sim card to work. I was aware of this when i bought it so no big deal, even if it makes you wonder if it was not prematurely released to the market when such a large network provider wont work from start.

After about 3 weeks of use my mobile stopped charging, first day it was a little on and off, second day it stopped totally to charge.

Brought it to mobilbyrån, a local mobile service here in stockholm.
Phone gone for 3 weeks. I was told it was sent to nokia repair in Tjeckia (?) Now i received an email that it wont be repaired. Its my fault because of physical damage applied by me(????).
I have not dropped the phone or had any physical damage to it during the short time i used it.
I was left with two options from the service center. Pay 350 sek (35 euro) to get my phone back as it was when i gave it to them, or do nothing and after 7 days they will dispose of it.

I called nokia. They gave me another phone number to nokia reclamation.
I called them and they said they can open a case for me and have a second look if its my fault or not its broken. I was told i have to ship my phone to them at my own expense.

So now i must pay 350 sek to the service center to get the phone back, and then pay for shipping it to nokia with no promise whatsoever that the outcome will be any different then what they already decided from nokia in tjeckia.
I asked if i will get any of this money back if its concluded that this is not my fault. They said i wont....

I have only used Ericsson mobiles before. I am already feeling a strong aversion against nokia and how they treat customers.
Did i pay this much for a mobile to get to use it for 1 week?????

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Those who have not yet voted on this poll, please do so-- including and especially those without the problem so we can gauge the percentages.

A caveat: if you've had the device less than a month I would suggest holding off voting until then unless the port has already broken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Those who have not yet voted on this poll, please do so-- including and especially those without the problem so we can gauge the percentages.
I've been a bit hesitant to vote in the poll, as I thought there was no way to change one's vote later on.

I received mine in mid-December and have not seen any problems so far, but...

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Last edited by jkq; 2010-02-13 at 00:00. Reason: added length of ownership

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
All of this seems like a Xbox's ring of death debacle all over again. Can't these big companies learn how to deal with a bad design early on and give their customers the confidence? No one is perfect but how you deal with an uncomfortable situation is what counts.
The cover-up is always worse than the crime.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
I got my N900 over 2 months ago, and everything was working just fine, until a week ago, when my wall charger stopped working correctly for no apparent reason!!

I can charge the battery when I connect it to the computer, and that works just fine, but the wall charger will appear to be charging, and then it will also stop after a few minutes(so when i was charging it at night I would find the battery empty in the morning)

Does anyone else have a similar problem?It has to be a problem of the charger right?Nokia USA doesn,t seem to be very helpful so far...

Thanks to all of you anyway.The best part of having this device is being part of this amazing community!

after emailing jon mears the chap from nokia flagship london who sold me the phone about my wobbly USB this is the largely positive response i got

Ok, so coincidently the head of nokia care made me aware of this issue today. So yes I can confirm they are aware of it and it can be fixed for free. For a full list of nokia care centres just visit the nokia website. Its down to individual store policies as to whether you can take a loan phone, offer to put down a deposit for one at your local store, that will certainly help. If I were you i'd call a local repair centre and see if they could do it quicker, otherwise the turnaround time you have been quoted is pretty good to be honest.

Let me know if you need anymore help,

regards

Jon Mears
Network Connections Manager
Nokia Retail

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddwwf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ddwwf1 View Post
after emailing jon mears the chap from nokia flagship london who sold me the phone about my wobbly USB this is the largely positive response i got
Can we take it from that that people in the UK are now able to get this fixed under warranty? My Mo is fine right now, but knowing there's a potential fault and no warranty cover has been unnerving. This would be Good News.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty