Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by splump View Post
Lot of assumptions there. I'll wait for something official thanks.
That's most of the problem. Nokia hasn't been very clear with announcements since the launch of N900.

There are a lot of doubts in the future of N900, call it Maemo 6 or Meego.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
hope MeeGo will promote open source ARM driver as that on x86 platform

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
That's most of the problem. Nokia hasn't been very clear with announcements since the launch of N900.

There are a lot of doubts in the future of N900, call it Maemo 6 or Meego.
Well that may be but that doesn't make anyones assumptions more relevant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to splump For This Useful Post:
"Terrific race the Romans ... terrific."

These guys have to look at the broader picture, and if they saw pouring lots of resources into two future competing platforms as wasteful, and a win-win in terms of joining forces, then it makes sense to join forces.

Nokia has already started making netbooks, and I guess they see the overall potential here, not just making phones or even MIDs.

If, in the overall scheme of things this would lead to abandoning the N900, or even if it would mean having to start from scratch on software (well Qt will be a bridge) so be it. It's all detail in a larger strategic game of competing and survival.

So it may be a temporary loss, certainly for those who bought the N900 (that is assuming you won't be able to run MeeGo/maemo6 on it), but overall from Nokia's p-o-w it's worth it and it has the potential for real gain in terms of scale and scope, covering so many segments.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
anyone wanna buy my gently used obsolete n900??
...j/k

The Following User Says Thank You to synplex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
So it may be a temporary loss, certainly for those who bought the N900, but overall it's worth it and it has the potential for real gain in terms of scale and scope, covering so many segments.
For me it would be a BIG loss (six hundred bucks) even if it is good for the future of Open Source.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Derby, England
meego.com has an N900 (or what appears to be an N900, anyway) front and centre on the page.

Doesn't really mean anything... just sayin', s'all.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
So it may be a temporary loss, certainly for those who bought the N900 (that is assuming you won't be able to run MeeGo/maemo6 on it), but overall from Nokia's p-o-w it's worth it and it has the potential for real gain in terms of scale and scope, covering so many segments.
there is simple formula for that.

Amount of Symbian cellphones sold per year - Amount of Maemo devices sold per year = Gap

I think that the gap is huge. (no proper data for better source etc)
so even if nokia would piss off everyone who ever bought n900, there are huge masses of people who just comment "what is n900" and thats it.

it isn't charity even if it is Open Source... and I am ready to lick my wounds and wait for better future. It seems that future is much brighter with meego than plain maemo....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
since maemo5 will get qt with the next update, it will be very easy to port (if necessary at all) programs between maemo5 and maemo6/meego.
that meegoo supports also x86 does not mean, that arm isn't any longer used... meego supports both!
as I said in another thread, we will see smartphones, mids and netbooks with maemo/meego.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-02-15 at 12:03.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war