Notices

totally agree with Palleman, except i have kept msn to pc-s because i can use rdesktop with n900 and have my msn live everywhere

Pidgin? Haze?
Do i have to DL the plugin from the app browser?

It's either plugins or apps.
Best app IMO is Pidgin, as it is quite touch friendly, compared to aMSN.
Best plugin, as far as I have read, is Pecan, for its low battery consumption.
I do have both (Pidgin app/Pecan plugin) in order to have "always online" instant messaging from the plugin and eg. to send/recieve files using the application.

The Following User Says Thank You to wheatbisc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
I use the 'Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversation and Contacts' - it's very sexy. Integrates your msn contacts into your contacts list and you can chat with the same interface as SMS conversations. Like the name implies, I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Fring is another great option.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Pecan is the best plugin so far.

I've installed 'Pidgin protocols plugin for Conversation and Contacts', which includes MSN (Haze), and I'm very happy with it, at least with the MSN integration. I've not tried the Facebook one, because I do not want all that contacts in my Contacts app, so I'm waiting for the possibility not to add them (hope it will come...).

if you want to use MSN, go for Pidgin plugin for conv./contacts, it's the best.

Palleman,

I still don't see a benefit of multiple logins. Since you are using same login information on all places (computer, N900 etc) as soon as you login to one machine you will be able to converse with people online. Why would you have to wait for hours ?? Say you are working on computer and talking with people online but then you have to leave ....you can just log off from MSN on computer and login on N900, you'll be able to communicate without any issue.

pidgin in my opinion is the best msn alternative for an app

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
Palleman,

I still don't see a benefit of multiple logins. Since you are using same login information on all places (computer, N900 etc) as soon as you login to one machine you will be able to converse with people online. Why would you have to wait for hours ?? Say you are working on computer and talking with people online but then you have to leave ....you can just log off from MSN on computer and login on N900, you'll be able to communicate without any issue.
That's not a solution. I change between my computers (incl N900) tens of times a day. There's no way I will remember to go offline/online each time, and there's no way I can keep track of which computer happens to be online at every given moment. That means I will have unanswered messages waiting for hours on computers I'm not sitting at.

And, when the IM client goes offline for some reason (connectivity problems or whatever), it should automatically go online again, as soon as possible. That means that if I go online on my phone, the client on my computer will be forced offline. And then it will immediately go online again, forcing my phone to go offline. Then my phone will immediately go online again, forcing my computer to go offline. And the bouncing game is on.

Skype, Gtalk and even Facebook are online on all computers all the time. I doesn't matter where I am, I will immediately get the message. Works perfectly.

/P

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo