People people people. Admittedly this is a big announcement and change but I just want to chime in on the apps issue.

With Qt4.6 the whole concept of "porting" an app is re-invented. I have written 3 apps using the Qt 4.6 platform since I bought my N900 and the thing that struck me immediately was how easy it was to move from platform to platform.

I run Linux on my desktop, Qt creator runs fine there and I have the scratchbox installed for compiling to ARM. I run windows 7 on my laptop and Qt creator works fine there and I have MADDE installed for compiling to ARM. Regardless of the environment I am on the apps compile and run. All it needs is the libs to be compiled for the platform and we already KNOW they will be for maemo and the N900. So porting an app that is based on Qt (and it sounds like they all will be in the future) is as simple as compiling the app for that platform. Since MeeGo will be multi hardware based (including ARM) I see no reason to believe devs would not compile for all platforms, including ARM.

The second thing to note here is that the ENTIRE OS is going opensource with MeeGo. Should Nokia simply stop supporting us "poor" N900 users then there is nothing stopping us simply compiling the OS for ourselves. No more complaints about closed source media players etc etc.

This is a change - and change can be scary - but if we take a deep breath and realize where this change can take us, I think we will all see the advantages to this merger.

(Heck at a basic level larger devs are certainly going to be looking at this platform with both Nokia AND Intel behind it)
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
I wonder if this was what they had in mind for "Step 5" when that whole meme got started.

(this is sarcasm, for those who are not attuned to it.)

Last edited by devaler; 2010-02-15 at 15:40.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
So yes the RPM move is really stupid as dependency has always sucked with RPM and it's a shame as every major community oriented distro is DEB based.
This hasn't been true for many years now. Using a server-based repository along with yum, apt4rpm, etc. RPMs have no more dependency issue than .debs. The only "issue" as such is that they're far more widely used, therefore you can run into problems if you try to use an RPM from one distribution on another. Using .debs don't magically make you immune to this issue though (it's just that .debs have generally only been used by debian-derived distributions, so core library/application names have been consistent).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
The second thing to note here is that the ENTIRE OS is going opensource with MeeGo. Should Nokia simply stop supporting us "poor" N900 users then there is nothing stopping us simply compiling the OS for ourselves. No more complaints about closed source media players etc etc.
It depends on how you define OS, a media player is not really part of the OS, so it could very well be closed source. It could also be that Manufacturers add other proprietary parts (such as drivers, power management code) when they create a release for a specific device.

I hope this will not be the case and Nokia will strive to make a good example and open source as much as possible when they integrate the current Maemo 5 into MeGoo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinsh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pinsh View Post
It depends on how you define OS, a media player is not really part of the OS, so it could very well be closed source. It could also be that Manufacturers add other proprietary parts (such as drivers, power management code) when they create a release for a specific device.

I hope this will not be the case and Nokia will strive to make a good example and open source as much as possible when they integrate the current Maemo 5 into MeGoo.
Wouldn't that go against the whole concept of this merger? The big push here seems to be that Moblin brings the open OS and Maemo brings the development env.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
... if the n900 gets an official release of QT 4.6?
released today:
http://qt.nokia.com/products/platform/maemo
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...mo-5-released/

Bye

Thorsten

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schnebeck For This Useful Post:
RPM? Debian?

OpenWRT doesn't use either. And they're on their 2nd version of a distribution system.

Don't let the Meta code be too important. Open is what matters.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uljanow View Post
It doesn't matter which package format is used. But if MeeGo uses RPM it will be more fedora-centric which doesn't even support ARM as an official port. Debian however supported ARM for years and as a consequence it is more stable.

Looks like the nokia managment is clueless and has no idea of what they're doing. As long as they can proclaim "strategic partnerships with technology giants" everything seems fine.
http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/11/...-and-opensuse/

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
no nokia actually make there [sic] devices not just stick there name on them like google
Really? It is a long time since I had a "made in finland" Nokia. Is the Korean N900 line in a Nokia-owned factory?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Really? It is a long time since I had a "made in finland" Nokia. Is the Korean N900 line in a Nokia-owned factory?
Yes, the unit in Korea is directly owned by Nokia.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war