Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
New joint venture announcement with Intel. Looks like Maemo 5 truly was a stepping stone. Minimal Nokia efforts going forward for Maemo 5? It is not exactly like they have put much since launch, effort anyways.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8516368.stm

At least the N900 may also get MeeGo as an option.

Oistano pointed to Nokia's N900, a Linux-based smartphone introduced last year, as an example of devices that would benefit from MeeGo. The N9000 features a 3.5-inch touch screen, a full QWERTY keyboard, four customizable home screens, and Adobe Flash 9.4 support within the N900 Web browser.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-02-15 at 15:13.

i dont know wheather to be happy or sad, sounds too me that if theyve got this fantastic new OS on the way their not going to put much effort into Maemo anymore i could be wrong guess we will just have o wit and see

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Nokia has always said that Maemo5 is just step 4 out of 5 steps.

I disagree with your subjective "minimal efforts" statement, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1 for example.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Everything sounds a bit sad for N900 even if there is no concrete news confirming the sentiment... that's may be weird?
The problem i see is probably some people bought it to be proud of it and it is already announced to be outdated after a (too) short life. The fear not to have anymore the pleasure to manipulate the last piece of technology...

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Nokia has always said that Maemo5 is just step 4 out of 5 steps.

I disagree with your subjective "minimal efforts" statement, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.1 for example.
Sorry- Poor wording. I am referring to app development and Nokia's lack of effort to drive interest and support with resources for commercial apps (minimal efforts going forward). This announcement explains why (IMO).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Everything sounds a bit sad for N900 even if there is no concrete news confirming the sentiment... that's may be weird?
The problem i see is probably some people bought it to be proud of it and it is already announced to be outdated after a (too) short life. The fear not to have anymore the pleasure to manipulate the last piece of technology...
Hardware is outdated fairly quick, but the key is OS support. THAT is where the N900 could fall onto a sad state, as far as consumers who are NOT tech savvy. The techs here will move on having fun, but non-techs that bought the N900 as a smartphone could get ticked off in a few months.

Most people just want to use the device and buy apps (hence consumers). Ironically, that is what Nokia should be striving for, but Maemo 5 is obviously not a device intended for that.

Killer media device and Mini-Me netbook, none the less!

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-02-15 at 15:11.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
I personally think Maemo 5 is a great OS, by far the nicest one I've seen and used compared to other phones. But then again, there's always something more that I think could be done to it - I just don't think Maemo 5 has reached its full potential yet. Which in this case, its successor could very well be MeeGo.

Rather than saying a stepping stone, I'd think more like a piece of a pie or pizza or whatever you prefer. My gut feeling says that MeeGo will have the experience of Maemo 5, if not better. Who's with me on this?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
This looks to me like a great little partnership. One thing that's always bothered me about Maemo as a project is that it is largely only for the devices of one company. Merging with Moblin and handing it over to the Linux Foundation cures that concern.

It also creates a pretty sturdy competitor to Android - and a more community-focused one at that. I've never liked Googles 'each-release-over-the-wall' approach to open source - the Meamo (and Moblin, AFAIK) approach is much more cohesive (though it bothers me a little that there was little/no community input on this merger).

As for Maemo 5 - from where I'm standing there's nothing 'Beta' about it. Does everything I want it to, and it's nice and open like I'm used to on my desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
IMHO Nokia is not abandoning Maemo platform. It is being combined with Moblin. There will be compromises, no doubt, but I believe this was a good choice.

Also I think that Nokia has more interest in developing the GUI rather than debugging the kernel crashes. Moblin is (according to my very little knowledge of it) more about the kernel; making it work lightning-fast on selected mobile platforms. Combining these two aspects just might make Android take the competitor(s) more seriously.