Posts: 52 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ West Yorks
Originally Posted by mackan1 View Post
i found this
http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/repai...ty-information

"Twenty-four (24) months for the mobile device and twelve (12) months for accessories (whether included in the mobile device sales package or sold separately) other than the consumable parts and accessories listed in (b) and (c) below;"

Ah. Cool. Nice one. So no point in using the VF firmware then?

Anyone know of any differences?

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
So why are negotiations or discussions between vf and nokia holding back the generic 203 release?

And why have there been no UK firmware files release on tablets-dev since the first production firmware last year? (this includes the -44 and -51 versions.. -51 being the latest)

Seriously.. I'm not a vf customer and I bought an unbranded / sim-free phone from nokia.. if vf are holding MY updates up I am going to be very unimpressed with them both..

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Suffolk, UK
As I mentioned earlier about the current update, I posted something in the main update thread. I'll repost here so you can see what I put about the current UK situation with regard the update...
"""Ok, Ok, I think I have an answer!! My phone just reset, you know, how they usually do every now and again, but I thought what the heck, I'll call Nokia and ask the progress of the minor update!

Anyway, it appears that only some countries and even then, not all users in that country have managed to receive the minor update. This is an issue and apparently most UK and some Finland users have not been able to get the update as we all now!!

So, they guy at Nokia has confirmed that they know about the issue, and that there is a major update coming last week of Feb/First wek of March. What they will do is merge the minor update with the major update so we will all get everything in one go.

So it seems we may have to wait a little longer, but they recognise the issue and we will get it eventually!

Just thought I'd let you know what I was told! """

The Following User Says Thank You to Wes79 For This Useful Post:
perhaps we will see a voda branded version pop up , none of their services work at the minute so maybe they are looking to change that

i really hope not and it would stink really bad if it were so

as cp said though why would this affect the nokia direct n900s on a different code

its more then likely the fact the uk has just been forgotten again like what happend with symbian uk generic handsets alot of the time

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I don't really understand this whole VF branding issue. I can't download the firmware and yes, whilst my phone is on the vodafone network taken out on contract - I did it through MPD brought directly from the Nokia store on regent street BEFORE it was even a twinkle in VF's eye..

As far as i'm concerned I am running an unbranded firmware and yet I still can't get the update...

Last edited by Blobster2k; 2010-02-18 at 19:17.

buxz and blobster, see my post above. there has been an error with Nokia sending out the update OTA. They have said that this update will be merged with the major updatge due end of feb/beginning of march

The Following User Says Thank You to Wes79 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Wes79 View Post
buxz and blobster, see my post above. there has been an error with Nokia sending out the update OTA. They have said that this update will be merged with the major updatge due end of feb/beginning of march
Usually quite good at reading through posts... I'll settle my pitchfork now...

Cheers Wes

The Following User Says Thank You to Blobster2k For This Useful Post:
haha, no worries blobster!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ West Yorks
Originally Posted by Blobster2k View Post
Usually quite good at reading through posts... I'll settle my pitchfork now...
no no no! burn them! they're witches.

it still begs the question: why is there a different firmware variant? if they are genuinely not modifying it, why didn't they just have the generic?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mrmoosehead View Post
no no no! burn them! they're witches.

it still begs the question: why is there a different firmware variant? if they are genuinely not modifying it, why didn't they just have the generic?
Possibly they wanted to leave the option open. If the N900 takes off enough, it'll be worth their while developing themes, apps, etc. to customise their firmware variant.