Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
Almost newbie here , so forgive me if this has been covered to some degree before (i have read loads on here but didn't see anything slightly concrete)

I was pretty happy when 6 weeks ago or whatever it was i saw the "big launch" of the n900 , as i finally saw a handset i would be happy to keep and see apps and things flourish for ther next 2 years maybe, and possibly even learn to program or use maemo through the x terminal a bit myself..

now after owining the handset for 2 weeks it seems that nokia do not have any "big ideas" for this platform rather its a springboard to a newer maybe better incarnation, and their own sites and software is basically non existent...

Basically my gripe is it seems like the public , worldwide, has been used as beta testers for a device that is not 100% ready , supported or appears it may never be...I saw a nokia presentation 1 weeks ago that was entirely x6 and ovi maps based, and when someone chirped up about the n900 , the only thing they would say is software will follow at some point soon !!!!!!!!

Maybe i am too niaeve (sp) but am i to take it we all have great looking phones that do soo much potentially but its great places like this that will make the unit live and not the actual manufacturer ????

Sorry for the length but i just wanted a remotely sensible answer and not 200 rants or slag offs about nokia etc etc and just an answer ....will the community be left to support the device where nokia won't / can't ?????

If so can someone teach me how to actually program/interpret the usage of the maemo software so i may actually do something with it ???

thanks ( slightly disillusionedly)

James

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA, Maine
James,

I have had my N900 for about 8 weeks now. While I share and feel your pain about some of the short comings, I do not regret my decision. Picking a smart phone today is not easy with so many things to consider and before buying I did my research and prioritized what really mattered to me; the only choice for me was the N900. Yes there are things I wish it did better or maybe at all, but on the other hand it is like the gift that keeps on giving. I keep looking to see what new app is ready to try and slowly, but surely, it is becoming more complete. I know that there are more things being planned for this great device and I am sure it will get better with time. With technology there is always something better on the horizon and if we keep waiting for the next thing we end up with nothing.

As for programming, that is not my things, I am just a user. Maybe someone else can help there.

The Following User Says Thank You to GaryHT627 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
This may be a good starting point for you jimmy
Python and Qt in 30 mins
There is much talk and speaculaton about the future of the N900 and indeed Maemo. I see the announcement for MeeGo as a positive thing that will bring many developers over to our neck of the woods. Most of the applications developed in Qt can and will be made available to the N900. What ever becomes of Maemo6 whether it will be compatable or not seems to be an issue of great debate.
All I can tell you is the only device to openly demostrate Maemo 6/Harmattan is the N900 at the moment so that at least proves concept. There are many developers in this community who make it their business to bring the seemingly unachievable to the general end user. Have a read round here.
Buzz words for searches.
Harmattan
Maemo6
MeeGo
qgil
Is the N900 ever gonna have any of the above ect..
Welcome to the waiting game

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jimmyb5374 View Post
Almost newbie here , so forgive me if this has been covered to some degree before (i have read loads on here but didn't see anything slightly concrete)

I was pretty happy when 6 weeks ago or whatever it was i saw the "big launch" of the n900 , as i finally saw a handset i would be happy to keep and see apps and things flourish for ther next 2 years maybe, and possibly even learn to program or use maemo through the x terminal a bit myself..

now after owining the handset for 2 weeks it seems that nokia do not have any "big ideas" for this platform rather its a springboard to a newer maybe better incarnation, and their own sites and software is basically non existent...

Basically my gripe is it seems like the public , worldwide, has been used as beta testers for a device that is not 100% ready , supported or appears it may never be...I saw a nokia presentation 1 weeks ago that was entirely x6 and ovi maps based, and when someone chirped up about the n900 , the only thing they would say is software will follow at some point soon !!!!!!!!

Maybe i am too niaeve (sp) but am i to take it we all have great looking phones that do soo much potentially but its great places like this that will make the unit live and not the actual manufacturer ????

Sorry for the length but i just wanted a remotely sensible answer and not 200 rants or slag offs about nokia etc etc and just an answer ....will the community be left to support the device where nokia won't / can't ?????

If so can someone teach me how to actually program/interpret the usage of the maemo software so i may actually do something with it ???

thanks ( slightly disillusionedly)

James
go get an iphone

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
To Tex14,

i had an iphone i did ditch in favour of the n900 , as the software support for it was to say the least questionable, and it was slow and buggy ..

I am not saying i dont like the n900, in some ways it has surpassed what i expected , i just thought , maybe wrongly , nokia would offer its weight behind its flagship product, and at least give it some great app support, seeing as this seems to be they way mobile devices seem to be going..

I am happy with the device as a phone, for the long term, media player now i have the codecs packs, it just seems "left behind" already in the quest for ever more developable? software

The real question is will people look at it in 12 / 18 / 24 months and ask why did you buy one of those and not wait for the xxx model ?? i have a nokia 8810, and people still look at it when i occassionaly use it and ask where they can get one from , i just say "a museum" hahaha

do i regret buying it no, wil i regret its level of support time will tell i guess

James

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Found this and this should be a good place to put this...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
I feel ya 100%!

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jimmyb5374 View Post
To Tex14,

i had an iphone i did ditch in favour of the n900 , as the software support for it was to say the least questionable, and it was slow and buggy ..

I am not saying i dont like the n900, in some ways it has surpassed what i expected , i just thought , maybe wrongly , nokia would offer its weight behind its flagship product, and at least give it some great app support, seeing as this seems to be they way mobile devices seem to be going..

I am happy with the device as a phone, for the long term, media player now i have the codecs packs, it just seems "left behind" already in the quest for ever more developable? software

The real question is will people look at it in 12 / 18 / 24 months and ask why did you buy one of those and not wait for the xxx model ?? i have a nokia 8810, and people still look at it when i occassionaly use it and ask where they can get one from , i just say "a museum" hahaha

do i regret buying it no, wil i regret its level of support time will tell i guess

James
I have to say that I got N900 with few expectations. It has actually exceeded most of them, and it is better than iphone. However, Nokia needs to forget that N devices somehow should not have the same email support as E devices, and that is why my N900 is in the box. I cant use my work email due to provisioning issues with my company and I suspect a lot of companies enforce provisioning. I have to respond to 50 emails per day, and therefore cant use N900 and I hate having 2 devices. So I am hoping that provisioning will come. In US, almost 70% of the companies are considering iphone as their corporate device., and why? because it has flawless support for exchange.....the days of boring Blackberries are coming to an end....and most corporate guys want information on the web, on the email, on the facebook, etcetera......so if NOKIA wants to make a multimedia device that will also cater to people who can pay for it, i.e., employed people that work for companie.....they need to improve their email on these devices. The days of separating Ns and Es should be over and hopefully MeeGo takes that into account.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
As said many times before... Provisioning devices can either be disabled by the server admin, or you can get a job for a real company who will buy you a phone using the testing department which will work.

If you want info on the web then the iphone is not the deivce, 40% of sites are now flash, if you want it on email then do what I siad above if its what you need, on Facebook.... Well son your in the wrong company. Try jobsearch.com.

The N900 works on exchange as long as your admin knows how to set it up properly. Im not going to tell you how, or him how as if you dont know you should not have an N900.

Its Quite simple boy, E business ready, N consumer ready.

If "booring Blackberry" comes to an end I will eat my hat you clown, its BES server technology, which gives you traceability. Which no other service does. Try working for a law firm without it.

You do know working for $1 store and needing provisioning because you cant afford to host mail servers is not 70% of the US industry dont you?

Little tip.... I can take control of you iPhone at any time... if thats your company phone then well done on being ******ed... well done system security.. well done...

See paragraph structure.

Last edited by crsnwby; 2010-02-21 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to crsnwby For This Useful Post:
mate as many have said on this forum

if you are not satisfied with the N900 NOW and have to ASK OTHER PEOPLE to REAFFIRM your purchase, then SELL YOUR n900 now or return it and get a phone that you are happy with

as many have pointed out here, Nokia dont have to do jack and has promised you nothing, and based on previous history on prior phones they most likely wont do anything else major

so if you are not happy with n900 RIGHT NOW, return/sell the phone and get something else that does

end of story really

Tags
you're wrong and whiney