Active Topics

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
i have been using iphones for about 4 years now and told everyone how good they are and a mate at work used them 2. then one day a mate came to work with the n900. 2days later we both sold ours and orderd n900. i would never ever have chosen a nokia over iphone till this phone came. ps im an apple fan boy ill admit it as i have so much apple products but while the app store makes serious money its all junk on there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:
basically you cannot compare these two devices, they are complete different...the N900 is really the smallest computer you could buy with a phone function, and the iphone is a phone with good features such as a music player and okay browser...you might be better comparing a netbook with the n900, but again the netbook does not have the phone function.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Just a couple of things... Backgrounder is not multitasking. It pauses the application and saves their state and you can easily switch back to them without restarting the application. I don't think it can really multitask properly. As you have one, can you let us know if you can still receive Skype/MSN/Yahoo IMs while you are reading a website or looking through your photos or music?

A great demo of the N900's multitasking capability is to open a few windows, then open DrNokSnes and run a game. Switch back to multitasking screen (ctrl + delete or the camera button) and you can see the game still running in the window.

The other point, the lag issue I think is due to the serial tasking nature of the iPhone. Even if all you do is open 1 application on the N900, the iPhone still has the advantage in that It doesn't have to constantly look for Skype/MSN/Yahoo etc IMs and so on. The iPhone can solely focus on the application you are using and little else. Of course, it is personal preference over whether you want multitasking or not. Not everyone wants IMs coming through or Twitter feeds etc while browsing a website or listening to music.

The Apps are well known, but personally, I don't want to spend even more money after I've spent so much getting a phone.. the iPhone and the N900 do not come cheap
The Iphone acctually does have Mutitasking with 'ProSwitcher' once you jailbreak

I have seen it in person and it works really really well. it doesnt pause the app. I really hate the iphone, i love my n900 but i love the apps on the iphone and hate the crappy amount of apps on the n900.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
one thing i also noticed on iphone....when u zoom the image sharpness maintained....not so on N900

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Good comparison, but I must agree with the person who questioned your trying to run the N900 without an Internet plan. Did you compare it with the iPhone not being able to make phone calls?

This is like judging Mohammed Ali but not counting boxing.
I don't have an 'internet plan' - well, technically I do, you can't choose whether you want to have just voice, or just messages, or just data or just... on any service in my country - you get the whole deal right from the start (you pay some miserable sum to have 3G enabled, tho, but that's like $1.5/mo). But the data is extremely costy as there is no 'unlimited data' package - with prices such as $1+/MB you'd hardly be doing any surfing if you appreciate your wallet. At most I connect to 2G/3G data just for the IMs and if I need to check some page urgently.

However, there is a fair share of open WiFi networks throughout my city, especially since the largest ISP gave their dumb users open WiFi routers so you can hitchhike at almost any place on the city I actually don't miss having unlimited data that much - when I'm on the move I'm driving so I can't really use it (apart from listening some internet radio, which I don't listen to anyways), and when I'm stationary chances are that I can hitchhike on some WiFi, so not having a real/usable data plan doesn't hinder the device and does not affect the experience that much. After all, I'm writing this post on my N900

Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
Multitasking. The iphone has an app called "backgrounder" which keeps apps running in the background, but its nowhere near as fast or as cool as the n900. You dont have that multi task screen that shows all the open apps, but it does what it says, so technically, multitasking is possible on the iphone, just not nice as the n900

More apps. I know maemo 5 is new so it isnt a fair comparison, but the iphone just has so many apps, theres an app for everything. Anything you want, just name it and iphone will probably have an app for it. I guess its because it has the appstore along with cydia and installous, many different places to get your apps.

Also, i was new with the terminal and command lines when I got the n900, and i learned a lot from there. I was happy to see that the iphone also has a terminal and the system files are very similar to the N900. I feel right at home.
To be fair, you should point out that you are using a jailbroken iPhone. If I'm not mistaken, this cancels the warranty. Otherwise, the three points I marked in the quote are irrelevant. I wouldn't expect jailbreaking to scare anyone in the Maemo community, but most regular users probably don't take that path. That's why in my opinion, pro-iPhone arguments must refer to a stock device.

I have an iPod Touch 2G and it's probably close enough to an iPhone, which made me decide it isn't the device for me. I don't like the usage philosophy of the iPhone, that everything revolves around apps and every one runs in its own bubble, separate from the rest of the phone. (Except for minor integration with the music player and stuff like that. Even that took Apple three firmware versions to implement.) I think it's ridiculous that a device that calls itself a smarthphone wouldn't let me chat on Skype and browse the web at the same time, for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thearcane For This Useful Post:
well the N900 is the new boy in town. give him time to find his feet. and some new cloths to make it cooler and he will be running with the boys

just need to fix these bugs with update 1st. then we will be smokeing. all it needs is time. Remmeber the Iphone has been out for what 3 years to fix out its bugs.

This is a little off topic but is there any major difference between the iphones besides being faster?

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
The Iphone acctually does have Mutitasking with 'ProSwitcher' once you jailbreak

I have seen it in person and it works really really well. it doesnt pause the app. I really hate the iphone, i love my n900 but i love the apps on the iphone and hate the crappy amount of apps on the n900.
Really? So you *can* use Skype, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, ICQ etc while browsing multiple webpages with music running in the background? If so, those keyboardless fans may be interested in a jailbroken iphone.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
My dad has a 3GS, an I have my N810. The 3GS battery DIES IN HALF A DAY. WITHOUT USING IT! And I had to jail break it to enable tethering (which he wanted for work), and of course my dad broke it once i went to back to college. And there really are not that many useful apps i could find, just silly ones. Half the time a webpage would have accomplished the same thing (facebook, yelp!, etc..). Lack of multtasking is annoying with GPS, which has to relock every time (backgrounder fixed that). Games I did not mess with that much, as it is my dad's phone.

I just like how SIP and google chat work in the background, and Tear is such an awesome browser, etc. If it was faster, I really would not care about the other stuff. It looks like the n900 is faster, but I don't know for sure.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.