Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Mer has a better chance now, since more open stuff will be available. It'll mainly be for legacy devices.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Well that's pretty disrespectful, when the Mer project leader, Stskeeps, said above he's commited to Mer for N8xx devices.
No disrespect was intended; I was basing my comments on what I read on what appears to be the Mer project blog.
So, what will happen to Mer? We'll still be a subsection of the MeeGo community arguing for our positions, our ideas, our hopes and helping out where we can. Best way to shape the future is by participating.
That reads to me as though Mer as an alternative OS is over.

It then goes on to say
Mer as a system will live on in Mer^2. A quick summary is it is a Debian 5.0 system building inside OBS with tricks making it feel like a Scratchbox for the packages, which makes most of the Fremantle platform build on it. It will work on X86 and on N8x0. Mer 0.17 will be imaged up soon and published - those who want to continue with that can. The goal is not to make a fully open source system - it will serve purpose to be a foundation on which to build a backport of Fremantle for N8x0. The hope is to be able to build most of closed things for Fremantle for N8x0 using this.
So, there may be a new project with a new name to effectively backport Fremantle to N8x0. Maybe it's semantics, but that all looks to me as though Mer itself is being wound up; some of the work already done may be built upon to give us something on the N8x0 at some point, which I'd love to see, but I'm not sure I'm holding my breath when that work is not going to be part of an ongoing project which would have been the case, if I understand what Mer was going to be.