Active Topics

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Updated: http://wiki.maemo.org/Karma#Weights
Thanks.

Ok, we clearly need to address the bug reports karma and blogs karma, the current situation is very unfair IMHO.

I'm for something similar to the old formula for bugs reports(4*#bugs), perhaps 2*#bugs to balance things a bit more ?

For blog, what about 2*sqrt(current_value) ? Or something similar ?

Opinions ?

PS.I'm starting to agree with direct numbers for each category, no more formulas

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Updated: http://wiki.maemo.org/Karma#Weights
On Products, wasn't the amount of votes supposed to have some effect? According to the wiki, it doesn't:

Products, applications in Maemo Downloads: 7 * (1 + stars per application
I think also voting for a bug in Bugzilla should increase karma. After all, if a bug doesn't get any votes, it would appear as the bug doesn't exist. On the other hand, if there are several votes for it, a fix might come sooner.

And finally Discussion. For some strange reason I have no karma for it, although I have posted few times in maemo-developers. Not much, but it should show something anyway, no?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
On Products, wasn't the amount of votes supposed to have some effect? According to the wiki, it doesn't
At the moment we only look at the stars (average of votes). Though number of downloads and number of votes could easily be used as factors there too, as there is simple access to that.

I think also voting for a bug in Bugzilla should increase karma. After all, if a bug doesn't get any votes, it would appear as the bug doesn't exist. On the other hand, if there are several votes for it, a fix might come sooner.
I'd love to make the bugzilla stats a bit more qualitative. If we got stats about bug votes and also of resolutions (so we can filter out duplicates etc), I'd be more than happy to utilize those in karma.

And finally Discussion. For some strange reason I have no karma for it, although I have posted few times in maemo-developers. Not much, but it should show something anyway, no?
Discussion karma requires that the site has recognized you as the sender of those messages. So your maemo.org account has to have the exact email address you use to send messages to the lists.

At the moment the matching is done when the emails come in, so if you add the email now to your profile it will not affect old emails. Though IIRC we may have some process that tries to sort out the old messages every now and then.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
PS.I'm starting to agree with direct numbers for each category, no more formulas
See ! While my post was primarily tongue-in-cheek (I hope people realized that at least at the Gross Community Product mention ), the bottom line is that different areas of the community are developing/changing at different paces, which will invariably lead to karma disrepancy after a while, even if we get the formulas right initially. Also, as we progress, sqrt will serve us less and less - because it will become clear even without looking that the high scorers will be those that are active in an area that is non-sqrt influenced.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
See ! While my post was primarily tongue-in-cheek (I hope people realized that at least at the Gross Community Product mention ), the bottom line is that different areas of the community are developing/changing at different paces, which will invariably lead to karma disrepancy after a while, even if we get the formulas right initially. Also, as we progress, sqrt will serve us less and less - because it will become clear even without looking that the high scorers will be those that are active in an area that is non-sqrt influenced.
I agree that this could probably be the most future proof system. Something like this:

karma = activityValue * (userActivity / totalActivity)

OK. Let me explain what I had in mind. Let's take products as an example (these numbers are all imaginary and have nothing to do with reality).

activityValue = 5000 (the amount of total karma given to products)
totalActivity = 400 (the total amount of starts for all the apps)
userActivity = 4 (1 app with 4 stars)

karma = 5000 * (4 / 400)

So according to this the karma for the user would be 50.

The great thing about this system is that it's really easy to tweak. All one has to do is to change the activityValue.

Anyway, I hope I made some sense here and I didn't do too many mistakes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
BUMP!!

Can we have the numbers a bit more balanced before the council elections ?
The blogs karma is a bit off

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Wait! Let me write a few hundred more articles first!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
BUMP!!

Can we have the numbers a bit more balanced before the council elections ?
The blogs karma is a bit off
Hi VDVsx,

May I ask: why?

Are there people under 100 karma who you think want to be candidates, who don't have enough karma and who should?

Or people over 100 karma who you don't want to be elligible to run?

Or people over 10 karma who shouldn't have a vote? Or under 10 karma who should?

Because if the answer to all those questions is no, why do anything which would only reorder the first 4 or 5 pages of rankings? And why must it be done before the elections?

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Hi VDVsx,

May I ask: why?

Are there people under 100 karma who you think want to be candidates, who don't have enough karma and who should?

Or people over 100 karma who you don't want to be elligible to run?

Or people over 10 karma who shouldn't have a vote? Or under 10 karma who should?

Because if the answer to all those questions is no, why do anything which would only reorder the first 4 or 5 pages of rankings? And why must it be done before the elections?

Cheers,
Dave.
Because the current situation is unfair IMO + the non-agreed changes, and this was a task under my responsibility, if we can do a better job here, why not ?

I'm not thinking in the people that can or cannot run for the council.

So, please lets agree in the blogs and bugs formula, Bergie is willing to change these next week.
If everybody is happy with the current situation I'll shut up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Well, if anyone is interested of my opinion, which I doubt, this is what I would like:

More karma:
Bugzilla
Products
(maybe Favourites)

Less karma:
Blogs

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: