Active Topics

Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
Is NOKIA next????
The question makes no sense. iPhone OS and Windows Mobile are operating systems. Nokia is a company (and uses several different operating systems in its devices).

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
although i'm not a fan of Winmo, Windows phone series 7 is better than iphone Os IMHO. hopefully it will change how people look into Winmo.
how?? all weve seen of Winmo 7 is a few screen shots and fuzzy videos, thats like saying the new nightmare on elm street movie will be better than the original because it has better posters!?!?!?

Winmo 7 looks nice, but its all about user experience, hopefully it'll be great but saying its better than say iPhone OS, Maemo 5, Symbian or Toast and Honey is a bit premature at this stage dont you think...

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
The funny thing is, that in the company comparison, Apple doesn't even show up.
And in the OS comparison they've "forgot" S40...
But the title wants to transmit, that iPhoneOS (Apple) is soooo big...

"Don't trust a statistic you've not fake yourself"

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
worst. thread. ever.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
The problem is that the number of dumb people outnumbers the number of geeky/clever people.

Therefore iPhone will always be popular because its so pathetically easy to use and stupid.
Hmm. I do not know about that, but being technically better and giving better user experience on some levels is not key to success. Marketing is key to success or actually all combined. People who resarch and buy stuff only after careful validation have always been underdogs and have seen many good gadgets and softwares to fade away just because manufactures lack of marketing, strategy and loan investors.

This is why I´m just so fed up people who refuse to understand power of marketing and putting some bling and boom to their product. Same people seem to not completely understand why some people do want to pay for software and services that could be implemented by themselves with little study of operating system.

Last edited by slender; 2010-02-24 at 12:55.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
The funny thing is, that in the company comparison, Apple doesn't even show up.
And in the OS comparison they've "forgot" S40...
But the title wants to transmit, that iPhoneOS (Apple) is soooo big...

"Don't trust a statistic you've not fake yourself"
It's a table on smartphone OSes, If I see correctly.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA, Maine
http://www.fastcompany.com/1560655/c...le+Feedfetcher

This recent article does a good job summing this up. Big companies like Nokia, or Microsoft are very unlikely to go away but unless they manage to keep the energy going they will start to slip from prominence. Changing direction for a large company is not easy and does not happen quickly so they need to always be looking out into the future to start the process early.

I would not call users of the IPhone dumb (my wife has one and calling her dumb would be – really dumb), rather they are users who just want a phone that works without the need to fiddle with it. I liken the IPhone to Disney World, a very slick presentation that is tightly controlled and managed to maximize the impact, but in reality just a façade. For some of us, if we were to go to Disney, we would want to know what is behind that façade and see how they make it all work, but for the majority of people, they just enjoy the experience and leave it at that.

I am convinced the reason the IPhone does not have multi tasking is because that would negatively impact the presentation of the façade and lower the human machine interface they worked so hard to master. First, the IPhone is very responsive to human input because it has nothing to do but scan for this. There are no background tasks that might delay the response. Second, the IPhone, with its built in battery, is already struggling with battery life issues and as we N900 users all know, multitasking does not improve battery life.

I still love my N900 and look forward to continued updates to fill in some of the weak spots. I am hopeful that Nokia will be able to hold on to the lead because I have long been a fan of Nokia phones, but that is up to them.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Am I wrong in my assessment? That is the 1 simple reason why the iPhone is popular, because it make stupid people think they are clever.

Perhaps overly simplistic view, but nonetheless true.
Yes, that is the single selling point of iPhone. You should tell this to Nokia's management and get them to kick Apple's butt with that information.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I've seen a lot of "finding out what you've been eating" type scenarios, especially now, with the N900.

First reaction: O.M.G. It's so awesome. It's shiny.
Problem: Something that can easily be resolved with a single terminal command. (like apt-get clean, or something).
Second impression: ...It's so geeky... I'm just going to return it...

People aren't as willing to do problem-solving as they used to be anymore... Tech like the iPhone OS can do that...
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
People aren't as willing to do problem-solving as they used to be anymore... Tech like the iPhone OS can do that...
Most people have better things to do than delve into their 'computers'. There are things such as (non technical) jobs, family, spouses, children, friends, (other) hobbies, sports, etc..

Technical geeks are a (growing) small subsection of humanity.

We don't run the world (yet).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
haha