Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
...Nokia only wants to push handsets, once they have your money they will move onto the next handset with no expectations of providing any support - that is the NOKIA way.
How long have you known this? Do you own an 900? If so, when did you buy it?

Hey All,

Read this thread with interest... I don't own an N900 (happy N800 owner)

Maybe the issue is that the previous iterations were all known to be beta products.. they were 'internet tablets', they were tinkering devices with the onus on the community to develop. And to an extent it was successful (OS2008's 500 available applications for example)

However the N900 is a different animal.. its essentially a high end smartphone.. and that brings different expectations and, quite probably, a different consumer that has more of an expectation that things 'just work'

Besides Nokia really should expect some flak with their announcement of Meego.. they have announced the end of Maemo.. with, as yet, no reassurance that current N900 owners are ever going to enjoy the full potential of the device they have shelled out top dollar for. I would be concerned.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stewwalton For This Useful Post:
I don't understand this. Did anybody ever have the Tmobile G1 (first ever Android device) When it first came out? The app store had 10 APPS!!! The firmware SUCKED and was full of bugs!! It took forever to get updates for it. I also paid 450 for this device.

Now Android is pretty rock solid, and has over 10,000 aps.

The ovi store already has what 50? And to be honest the android store didn't grow until they allowed paid apps.

And everybody that still has the G1 are pissed that they can't get android 2.0. If companies never released new upgraded phones to go with their new software, well you wouldn't have new cooler software and you would have out of buisness companies.

My n900 is far more stable NOW than my G1 was after even my 1.5 update (1.6) got much better.

If nokia comes out with a new device to run Meego and the n900 get's left behind. I will be the first to buy it, as long as it has a bigger screen.

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
Really mature. That's totally not the point - the phone costs more than a decent computer AND a netbook,
I believe the N97 and even the N95 cost more than N900, so his question about Symbian^3 on them is as relevant as Maemo6 on N900 ;-)

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
This is good in theory, but in practice, it doesn't work; no longer buying lowers R&D budget and gets people fired.

By the time they have that darned meeting about focusing on fixing and leaving the candy aside it'll be too late. No market share, unhappy customers, less money, less everything.
Motorola Droid/Milestone.

Hi everyone,

I have received my own N900 for christmas, and I have been very happy since. I downloaded quite a few applications, toyed around with root access, and use its excellent web browser (what have you done Mozilla!) everyday.

I do not see any reason to be concerned about MeeGo.

First, what I have in my hands is a mobile phone. As with almost every mobile phones that I have owned (all from Nokia since my second one), I kept them for about two years before changing to a newer/more powerful phone. This current phone lacks some features that I had in my previous Symbian phones, that's a fact. But we know that there is a Nokia team working on it and that we should soon receive an update, hopefully with some feature updates.

This device is also a tablet, and as such it has an OS, drivers for this OS and so forth. The OS for the N900 is Maemo 5. Even before the announce of the MeeGo, I do not recall reading anything about a backward compatibility of Maemo 6 for the N900 tablet. So whether it is Maemo 6 or MeeGo 1, it does not make much difference.

On the application side, we know that Qt 4.6 will be soon available for Maemo 5, and that the MeeGo development environment will also be Qt 4.6 based. Therefore it gives a rather good feeling that in the future, cross-platform apps will be quite common. It won't matter if they are open-source or commercial, as the difference will mainly be the computing power of the device, and maybe some hardware capabilities.
I personally doubt that a multi-touch application be ever ported to the N900, even if the compiler allows it. But that does not mean that single-touch applications may not be developped and deployed simultaneously to the Nxxx, the N900, and Intel based platforms.

When I bought my N900, I did not expect it to have a software base as large as the IPhone's, or to be the ultimate portable unix machine. There are a lot of limitations to the device, and newer devices will of course get newer applications. I will download the MeeGo development environment as I downloaded the Maemo environment, I will learn how to use it, and if I can use it to create applications that can be installed on the N900, great! If not, well, that is not the end of the world.

I am a happy N900 user, and there are happy N800 users. There will be newer devices as technology evolves. The next N-series linux based tablet-phone may get multi-touch, usb3 (I know i'm dreaming) and an new tech battery that will allow us to surf away from a plug for more than a day. Many tech-lovers will rush to that one and evntually the N900 will join its predecessors in the museum of mobile computing.

To everyone worrying about the N900's future, I would advice to just make the best of it now, as whatever happens next I do not believe that it will be lost.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudisk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Exactly - so the best thing to do for everyone who is disappointed with your n900 is to SELL and RETURN your n900, tell all your friends and aquaintences that you will NOT get support from Nokia like you would with Apple iphone/google Andriod.
Apple's iPhone users are lucky thus far, I suspect the original iPhones may be getting the great shove-off at some point, at which they're stuck. Ditto for any carrier-provided Android phone, unless the buyer *gasp* turns to the community for updates.

Spread the news, get people to understand that Nokia only wants to push handsets, once they have your money they will move onto the next handset with no expectations of providing any support - that is the NOKIA way.
So you're saying that buyers should essentially spread lies, based on specious bits of information.

So if you buy Nokia, ONLY BUY throw away low cost models which require no support, and NEVER ever buy high end handsets from them.
Or from any other vendor, for that matter. I don't know of any who have provided OS upgrades more than a year out, if ever, aside from Apple and they were essentially the first to offer such extended support.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
http://europe.nokia.com/support/down...re-update/news Not sure how anyone can say that Nokia doesn't provide "any support" after sales. My E71 has had 5 updates, the latest being 16 months after release. E90 got a firmware update 2 years and 2 months after release. Same story with many other Nokias. N900 has had three updates already and there's more coming.

And now that we're at it, where's MMS, video recording, A2DP and stuff like that for older iPhones? Didn't get those in an official update? Luckily the community took care of that, but you're a criminal if you jailbreak.

Now Android, if everything is as rosy as some of you describe, I should be able to get any Android phone and update it to 2.1 right now? I don't think I can, even though 2.1 has been out for some time already. And community stuff doesn't seem to count so don't suggest any images from xda-developers.

Maybe I should start a whinefest about Google maps free navigation? N900 users feel let down by the Ovi Maps free navigation announcement? Well, Google's left out the whole world except the US.

How many current WinMo phones do you think will get Windows Phone 7? HD2 maybe, we'll see. The bulk of them? No way.

I personally think it might serve Nokia well to release Harmattan on N900, but I don't pretend it's a simple issue, or that grass is all green on the other side of the fence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Don't say that when you buy a computer you can upgrade it to the new version of the OS, because that's simply not true. If you buy a computer with XP, you need to shell out again to move to Windows 7.
[...]
People are still using the 770 with OS2007 or HE and are very happy with it.
This is about XP versus XP SP3, not XP versus 7. Nobody cried about Harmattan (well, me at least), we cried about fixes. When issues get "implemented in Harmattan" then the issues blur together.

Sure people are still using old versions, but nobody is updating that software. Many people didn't afford (to run) W7, but XP is still being patched and the new technologies like indexing and search and whatnot are still being back-implemented.

I get what you say and even agree with some (such as price not being and arm and a leg), but I still say that Nokia should get back to patching M5 until bugzilla is empty.

M6 should be M5 with new UI and libs, and additional functionality.

@jsa: There are counterexamples to that. N80 still has bug in contact searching, still has cursor blinking when calling, and last time I checked (didn't check in a while) "restore" was alternately not working and "backup" wasn't always successful. There is no backing up messages, bookmarks have their own issues, sync as well, images get re-synced with dupes in certain conditions, movies with double extensions showed up twice. I got a few, some with N80, some with PC Suite, which is worse IMO. Not exactly cheap device, either.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-02-26 at 20:29.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
This is about XP versus XP SP3, not XP versus 7. Nobody cried about Harmattan (well, me at least), we cried about fixes. When issues get "implemented in Harmattan" then the issues blur together.

Sure people are still using old versions, but nobody is updating that software. Many people didn't afford (to run) W7, but XP is still being patched and the new technologies like indexing and search and whatnot are still being back-implemented.

I get what you say and even agree with some (such as price not being and arm and a leg), but I still say that Nokia should get back to patching M5 until bugzilla is empty.

M6 should be M5 with new UI and libs, and additional functionality.

@jsa: There are counterexamples to that. N80 still has bug in contact searching, still has cursor blinking when calling, and last time I checked (didn't check in a while) "restore" was alternately not working and "backup" wasn't always successful. There is no backing up messages, bookmarks have their own issues, sync as well, images get re-synced with dupes in certain conditions, movies with double extensions showed up twice. I got a few, some with N80, some with PC Suite, which is worse IMO. Not exactly cheap device, either.
I completely disagree... it's not about XP vs XP SP3. It is also not about XP vs Windows 7... It IS about Vista vs Windows 7.
Many laptops bought recently only shortly before Windows 7 came out (same timescales as N900/MeeGo really) came with a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Older machines and those still on XP can pay for an upgrade.

The problem really is that Nokia won't say anything about anything. They don't announce firmware updates, won't give any reassurances about how long firmware updates will come... nothing.

What I do know is this was heralded as the next big thing, the N900 and now only months after release Nokia are potentially besting it and never releasing another Maemo5 device. This instantly limits the lifespan of Maemo5 as it will simply just become unprofitable to keep maintaining and innovating.

The other thing I know is that Nokia have dropped new devices like a stone before. They've released unfinished devices and never finished them, instead favouring the release of fixed/"updated" new devices.

The only real information we have to go on is Nokia's past behaviour and sadly their current actions fit those same old Nokia patterns.