Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In the last few months I've been working to get prismic wallpaper manager through to the ovi store. On the whole, Nokia has been fantastic, but increasingly I've heard all sorts of interesting things from other developers experiencing similar issues, and more concerningly, a lot of talk about there not being a paid app store any time in the near future...

Needless to say I'm starting to feel like I'm going to miss my chance here if these things continue getting pushed back and surreptitiously delayed. I have invested far too much time and money just to let this one go.

So does anybody know how to allow people to easily install .deb files without having to use the terminal? I would very much like to get this $3 sensation on the road, and I know everyone else would too....

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
the new update v3.2010.02.8 allows file manager to click on deb files which opens application manager and installs deb....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
Why not release the app first, so poeple can use it then if it works they may include it on ovi.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Originally Posted by code177 View Post

So does anybody know how to allow people to easily install .deb files without having to use the terminal?
Maybe with the Application Manager
But who knows .....

Edit:
Sorry, didn't see this is a N900 thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ah hah! I haven't gotten around to installing v3.2010.02.8 yet, so when I tried it just failed miserably. Maybe there is hope afterall...

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
So does anybody know how to allow people to easily install .deb files without having to use the terminal? I
Just put it online. The browser will take care of the rest. It seems to be the way OVI Store works - just installed the Angry Birds Level Pack from OVI.
I Think you have to update to the newest firmware to make it work.

Last edited by spag; 2010-02-25 at 20:38.

Code:
dpkg -i MyDocs/.documents/filename.deb
incase you wanna use terminal .

Originally Posted by spag View Post
Just put it online. The browser will take care of the rest. It seem to be the way OVI Store works - just installed the Angry Birds Level Pack from OVI.
I Think you have to update to the newest firmware to make it work.
No ovi repository is already setup in application manager thats why you can click on links and install

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Yeah, while waiting for a new feature in the app manager, you can write a tiny python/qt app for installing deb files. It's work for one hour
You'll have to use terminal only once.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
No ovi repository is already setup in application manager thats why you can click on links and install
Are you sure it is using the OVI Repository for paid content, too? I was asked if I want to save 'angrybirds-levelpack1_1_0_0_armel.deb' to disk or open with App manager.