I have read a few bad reviews on the 770 about it been sluggish. Has this been fixed or is this still the case? I might just buy the n800 but it is quite dear. Thanks.

it's really not that bad for surfing, it's a touch slower than my wifi laptop, but really not worth worrying about. I bought mine second hand and really can't fault what it does. But I just need it for google mail, some forums and general surfing.. I've also discovered that with judicious use of a nice big memory cardit's the perfect travelling companion, I can take some videos to watch plus pdf guide books and saved wikipedia pages, plus maemo maps etc etc. It really depends what you need it for and how much you're willing to spend I guess, and of course if you don't mind having old unsupported hardware!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
770 is perfectly adequate for web browsing if you just disable the flash support. After that, it works pretty well. If you want really to speedup web browsing, then also disable iframe support and most of the crappy ads disappear from sites on that same instant.

The main things I will be using it for is Web Browsing, Internet Radio, Video Playback and Video Streaming. Does it do all of these okay? I might import a N800 from the USA but it may cost just as much as buying it here. Thanks.

I've found it to be pretty bad in the video streaming stakes, but apps like Kontorri's UK tube and Afleggs conversion website have made it possible to view selected flash video sites. (youtube and dailymotion so far...)

video playback requires a program called media converter which makes a video file compatible with the 770, it's free and you can find it by searching these forums. It's a bit of hassle, but with some jiggery pokery it's possible to do a lot of stuff with the 770.

Thanks everyone.

I'm curious what you mean by bad reviews...what device doesn't have bad reviews?????

I use my 770 for just about everything and find it very fast and responsive for what I'm using it for. Install Privoxy to eliminate web ads and that will really zoom up websurfing on the 770. I use mplayer for watching video and have no problem watching full length movies i've converted over for the 770. The built in music player plays both local and streams music with no problem at all. Bought a bluetooth GPS unit and with maemo-mapper have avoided countless rush hour traffic jams! The list goes on and on!

Will I be able to stream music and videos from my computer to the 770? If so what formats can be streamed? Would this replace my computer for internet browsing? Thanks.

i am very impressed with my woot 770, the wife likes it even more when i give it back to her.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Further to the points on Flash-based video streaming; RealVideo streaming (e.g. stuff from the BBC) is also perfectly good.