I played with the iphone over the weekend at an ATT store. The screen resolution is excellent. Even though my N800 has a higher "resolution", I honestly could NOT see a difference. I felt the iPhone web look as good as my N800. I was impressed.

I got a 4gb iphone as a gift this Friday night (I would have gotten the 8gb had I payed for it). The phone does what apple says how they say. I see a large number of people complaining about what it can't do. True it is by no means perfect and there is much that it can't do that other devices such as the n800 can. In the end for me it comes down to the same thing I tell people when they complain that the n800 can't do this or that. It does what it was made to do well. That you have other expectations of whatever device is your hang up. In the end I am happy with what I got. If apple comes through with the updates to the device as promised, I will buy an 8gb and gift this one to my brother.

Would be very interested to here about some battery life tests that you can perform, music playback etc. The figures quoted by Apple appear to be optimistic when tested by some reviewers.

http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/...ttery-Life.htm

I charged and synced the phone on friday night. (no activation issues) On Sat and Sun I left the house at about 6am and did not see an outlet until I arrived home at about midnight. During that time I used the ipod portion pretty much throughout the entire day. (obviously not continuously) I also have the wifi and bluetooth on. I have 3 mail accounts checking automatically every 15min. I used the phone for 15 calls on sat and for 10 calls on sun. I sent/got about 30 sms on sat and 40 on sun. I browsed the web quite often as I do with my n800. Data usage on the phone shows 137mb received and 36 sent. I also spent much extra time playing with/showing people the features of the phone. Watched several video podcasts on both days. At the end of each day it showed battery left over and was still in the green. Not sure if the indicator will turn red as on the ipod, but I would think so. Either way I imagine there could not be much time before it turned red. So For me battery life seems to be a non issue. My Pearl never got me through the day, the curve has kept it's place as my second phone although it was a tough choice between that and the 8800. The iPhone has for the moment replaced one of my blackberries for more than 1 day which no other pda has been able to do thusfar. (talking about AT&T carried)

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by nef919 View Post
I got a 4gb iphone as a gift this Friday night (I would have gotten the 8gb had I payed for it). The phone does what apple says how they say. I see a large number of people complaining about what it can't do. True it is by no means perfect and there is much that it can't do that other devices such as the n800 can. In the end for me it comes down to the same thing I tell people when they complain that the n800 can't do this or that. It does what it was made to do well. That you have other expectations of whatever device is your hang up. In the end I am happy with what I got. If apple comes through with the updates to the device as promised, I will buy an 8gb and gift this one to my brother.
Nice post and spot on. Question for you.

My mother retired from AT&T/Lucent and has the option to get an iPhone with a plan. I was told by Apple that I should get the plan, then cancel it and use the iPhone with only the wifi, and iPod, etc.... options. However, I heard that if the plan is cancelled, the iPhone become inoperable again with no functions working. Is this true, and if you have time, can you verify this? If I can get an iPhone for the time being until they come out in Europe, as I do not mind paying for another one. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Nice post and spot on. Question for you.

My mother retired from AT&T/Lucent and has the option to get an iPhone with a plan. I was told by Apple that I should get the plan, then cancel it and use the iPhone with only the wifi, and iPod, etc.... options. However, I heard that if the plan is cancelled, the iPhone become inoperable again with no functions working. Is this true, and if you have time, can you verify this? If I can get an iPhone for the time being until they come out in Europe, as I do not mind paying for another one. Thanks in advance.
I dont the answer to your question, but I would bet very heavily, you will see very soon, an iPhone without the phone.. in other words, an iPod/Internet combo that will be wifi/ BT DUN like the N 800. With a combo, like that, I would be inclined to sale my iPod Video and N800 and go to this one device. I like my Treo 755p for business and would use it as a phone as modem for the iPod/Internet combo. I can see it coming ! It would sell well but I need a 40GB or so for all my music, movies, etc.

Originally Posted by TripleNickle View Post
I dont the answer to your question, but I would bet very heavily, you will see very soon, an iPhone without the phone.. in other words, an iPod/Internet combo that will be wifi/ BT DUN like the N 800. With a combo, like that, I would be inclined to sale my iPod Video and N800 and go to this one device. I like my Treo 755p for business and would use it as a phone as modem for the iPod/Internet combo. I can see it coming ! It would sell well but I need a 40GB or so for all my music, movies, etc.
Thanks 555 ,

I am on the phone with Apple to verify and then to AT&T. Check this out and tell me what you think of this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19545787/ . What happens if I don't renew the subscription at the end of the month? Does the phone die or does the phone service die?

I have removed the sim card and used the iphone as an ipod. One of the first things I tried. Wifi worked the first time I tried it at home, but not at a friends house. I haven't tried again, but will when I get off work.
If your contract expires your plan just continues on a month to month basis. I know people that have been on a month to month for over a year now.

Sorry should have read the article first. If your on prepay and they cannot bill you, the service is suspended.

There is no secret code by the way. Reps typically enter in all 1's or 9's if you don't have a social security #. Customers without a social will be required to pay a $500 deposit or activate as prepay. The deposit must be paid at a brick and mortar AT&T store.

Hey nef919,

Thanks mate. Just got off the phone, and you are spot on. My mother can run down and get one, and get me the prepaid plan. I will keep it and either sell it when the European versions come out or give it to my daughter. Thanks for your help dude. Appreciate it.