Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Newcastle UK
From Intel Executive Vice President David "Dadi" Perlmutter

>>
He added that Intel is putting a lot of effort into building software such as MeeGo and that software for phones is a "big deal." He continued, saying, "I bet there's going to be a lot of people around the world building phones (who) will be able to make use of this; most of the software work has been done for them by Intel."

Speaking about the phone itself, he said, "Our design capabilities and design technology will get us a device that will be comparable or better in performance and power-performance because this market is all about power efficiency...In the next year or so, you'll see what we are bringing out."
<<

what you think?

you guys think Intel is making their own MeeGo device? possibly manufactured by Nokia..lol

here is the full link:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10464603-64.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Techtertainment For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I believe he is referring to Moorestown in general, I don't think they will be doing a whole device on their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I dont think he is talking about a new device either.

From the looks of it, He is talking about meego itself rather then a device they plan on releasing.

I think the whole point of this partnership with nokia is so that they have a reputable company that focus in the phone business alone for making what is there idea of a decent phone.

If nokia and intel release meego devies, The problem will be that nokia being a more repected phone maker will make more money on there device and that wont seem fair to intel who are putting alot of effort into meego aswell.

My guess is that intel will focus on netbooks and the like and leave the phone business to nokia.

Although if intel did release a mobile phone it would be interesting to see if they would slide some decent processor in there(cough atom cough)(although that is a little power hungry for a phone) still 1.6ghz would be pretty handy.

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkFulgore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Intel has no more interest in producing Intel-branded phones to compete with Nokia or Motorola than they ever had in producing Intel-branded PCs or notebooks to compete with Dell or HP. They just wanna sell chips. Nokia doesn't wanna make chips, they wanna sell phones and services. Perfect.

Intel is not stupid. They know the mobile processor game is all about power consumption. Perlmutter said: "...this market is all about power efficiency...In the next year or so, you'll see what we are bringing out." They know the chips they offer now like the Atom don't match up well against ARM processors. They also have plenty of money and engineering skill to throw at the problem. You can bet your last roll of toilet paper that ARM processors will not keep an advantage for long. Like he said, they have a plan, Nokia knows what it is, likes what they see and MeeGo is them betting that together they will rule the mobile roost.

I wouldn't bet against them. It's still very early in the mobile devices game.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Newcastle UK
Do you guys think Intel, like Google with HTC, could have a greate idea for a MeeGo phone, hardware and design wise, and ask Nokia to either make it or think bout it?

I know its unlikly but do guys think its possible?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
No, not gonna happen. I'd bet my last roll of toilet paper on it. Intel just wants to sell chips.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
They also have plenty of money and engineering skill to throw at the problem. You can bet your last roll of toilet paper that ARM processors will not keep an advantage for long. Like he said, they have a plan, Nokia knows what it is, likes what they see and MeeGo is them betting that together they will rule the mobile roost.

I wouldn't bet against them. It's still very early in the mobile devices game.
The battle they are fighting is quite hard to win on that front, though. They are bringing a lot of baggage from the X86 world that ARM simply does not have. Even if they solve the power issues, an Atom core will be more expensive than an ARM one as the dies are bigger. Also, this is not about just a CPU, but the accompanying chips and integration as well. Sure, they can throw money and engineers at the problem, but ARM is advancing, too, so Moorestown does not need to better than a dual core A9, but whatever is in the ARM pipeline behind it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I saw in a news magazine an ODM designed an atom smartphone design for, I believe it was Intel...