Love Skype but I have a few questions:

- Can I seperate the Skype contacts or mark then as 'Skype'?

- How do you sign out?

I use Skype for work so do not want it on all the time, also it will eat battery.

All I could find is 'My availability' then offline - does this turn off Skype or just make me look offline?

Thanks,

i think the best you can do is go to contacts, click the top bar, then groups. skype contacts can be viewed there.

setting the availability offline is as good as it gets, you cant turn skype off as such as its fully integrated.

Thanks for the view by group - wish there was a way to set the default view to sim not skype.

Surely having Skype on all the time means it will be online all the type so the battery will drain stupidly quickly?

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
baron von bubba is wrong.
you can disable skype and any other IM/service by clicking on the status bar (the one with the time) and select "Status" (the one with the big green point on the left.
Then select the skype account and deactivate it through the proper checkbox.
When you wish to activate it back, you could simply do the same thing.
When you turn off skype, all the "only-skype" contact should disappear from the phonebook immediatly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HoX View Post
baron von bubba is wrong.
you can disable skype and any other IM/service by clicking on the status bar (the one with the time) and select "Status" (the one with the big green point on the left.
Then select the skype account and deactivate it through the proper checkbox.
When you wish to activate it back, you could simply do the same thing.
When you turn off skype, all the "only-skype" contact should disappear from the phonebook immediatly.
Great that is exactly what I was looking for thanks!!

Originally Posted by milkbottles View Post
Thanks for the view by group - wish there was a way to set the default view to sim not skype.

Surely having Skype on all the time means it will be online all the type so the battery will drain stupidly quickly?
You can disconnect the internet connection. Tap on the battery icon, then disconnect the net.

I know you might say "but then I cant get emails" - but in my battery usage testing it seems that if the net is off, it lasts X hours. If the net is on, it lasts Y hours (Y < X) and it doesnt seem to matter what I do with the net, whether its skype, emails etc..

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
You can also save a status where Skype is disabled, see page 51-52 in the manual.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
You can also create new "statuses" that have different account on or off with different states. So if you create a "at work" profile that has skype off, and when you are at work you just tune that on.

Originally Posted by baron von bubba View Post
i think the best you can do is go to contacts, click the top bar, then groups. skype contacts can be viewed there.
And the other thing to know is that SkypeOut contacts are not displayed / imported at all... the integration of Skype with the N900 Contacts manager left out of the picture the SkypeOut contacts.

With some work, SkypeOut contacts can be imported into the Contacts Manager, see my posting:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46401

--denis