Notices

Hello to all the generous developpers out there !

Following a suggestion of Bec on this post , I'm calling on good souls to developp a fabulous Dive logbook application

The goal of this application would be to be able to upload dive records from a dive computer (or from dive log softwares) directly on the N900 in order to always have you dive logbook with you !

A nice example of an existing mobile dive log application is here (for iphone, of course...):

http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Di..._-_native.html

For an example of what a dive log software looks like, you can download a very good free software here :
http://www.divinglog.de/english/home/index.php

This is a good way of knowing what features would be great on a dive log.

At the very least, what would be great is to have these informations : http://en.divelogs.de/tg.php?id=155877

Ideally, it would be great to have an import function compatible with the main dive log software out there (suunto, uwatec, mares, ...)

Later on, it would be great to have features like a dive map of the location you dived, a link to the photo taken during your dives or your trip, ... but I'm getting ahead of myself here

There was apparently a project that was started some years ago but it didn't seems to have gone very far : https://garage.maemo.org/projects/hgdivelogbook/

So here it is ! I hope someone will want to take on this challenge I know nothing about developping or coding but I'm willing to be a very active beta tester and ideas provider

The Following User Says Thank You to qhorse For This Useful Post:
You wouldn't be able to download data direct from any dive computer I know of. The N900 can't act as a USB host (for most), and has the IR port is TX not RX - so that would rule out the rest that still use ir ports.

I'd like to be able to copy my logs from Diving Log to the N900 but it's such a niche app that I'm not going to hold my breath. (first rule of diving....)

The Following User Says Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
you don't need to export your logs directly into the N900, most computers have free softwares that have an export function.

it is just a matter of reading those differents export files and importing them into an app on the N900.

always make the least effort possible (2nd rule of diving :d )

Well I don't know what you guys use for logging but I think bluetooth could cut the intermediary PC out.

Also don't you guys need an app to calculate O2/CO2 ratio? I think I read about that too.

I think niche apps are what would make the N900 better. I'm more into medical stuff so a nice dictionary app and a pdf reader will do for me.

But besides what you guys need I think we should also have budget planers and other "small" software that can help you big time day by day.

I really hope somebody considers this project

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Well I don't know what you guys use for logging but I think bluetooth could cut the intermediary PC out.

Also don't you guys need an app to calculate O2/CO2 ratio? I think I read about that too.

I think niche apps are what would make the N900 better. I'm more into medical stuff so a nice dictionary app and a pdf reader will do for me.

But besides what you guys need I think we should also have budget planers and other "small" software that can help you big time day by day.

I really hope somebody considers this project
Well, there are indeed other tools that could be considered such as the Nitrox calculator (see an example here : http://www.moremobilesoftware.com/Ni..._-_native.html) but I think dive log would be best first and then maybe work our way to this kind of app...

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ 's-Hertogenbosch
Thanks for the extra effort of this threat!
I completely second guideline mentioned above.
so: +1!!

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Freekie For This Useful Post:
well... no interest it seems :'(

Originally Posted by qhorse View Post
well... no interest it seems :'(
Hi,

I was looking into this briefly and playing around with Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 ->the CSV export creates a file / dive, storing the dive number, time and date into the file name - but no dive-site / location information available. The SDE-format seems to be a zipped collection of xml-files, again one file / dive.

I'm looking into porting my gas-blender application to N900 with Qt and could include log-book functionality into it also.

For the log-book part I will start with the csv import, then sde and gradually work my way through the formats I can get my head around. So if you have any sample files of other formats you'd wish to 'contribute' or even actual documentation of the data-formats, pm me.

I can't give you any time-line yet - need to spend a bit more time planning this....

Originally Posted by pommi View Post
Hi,

I was looking into this briefly and playing around with Suunto Dive Manager 3.1 ->the CSV export creates a file / dive, storing the dive number, time and date into the file name - but no dive-site / location information available. The SDE-format seems to be a zipped collection of xml-files, again one file / dive.

I'm looking into porting my gas-blender application to N900 with Qt and could include log-book functionality into it also.

For the log-book part I will start with the csv import, then sde and gradually work my way through the formats I can get my head around. So if you have any sample files of other formats you'd wish to 'contribute' or even actual documentation of the data-formats, pm me.

I can't give you any time-line yet - need to spend a bit more time planning this....
Excellent news !! Thanks a lot for your involvment !

I'm using Suunto DM so I can't give you other file formats but let me know if I can do anything to help. I'll be the first to test for sure

Any garage project yet ?

Hi,

No Garage project yet, hopefully soon.

Anyways here are a few screen shots and explanations what my thoughts are.

The main-screen of nDive has buttons to launch the corresponding dialogs. Need to figure out proper icons for them one of these days. Have reserved a section for summary, could be like total amount of dives, total bottom time etc.,

- Dive Log, pretty self evident, provides a way to visualize dive data. Currently reads in Suunto csv export data and shows it on the square profile, planning to add graph-mode also. Also shows some other data like dive site, etc. (TBA). Next step to read in Suunto sde data.

- Blend, again quite straight forward. Currently only for Nitrox, Tri-Mix pending. Deals only with ideal gases, no support for real-gasses yet.

-Nitrox Log, a quick way to log time, date, tank number and EANx %.

Some other ideas for the future:
- A configurable CCR check-list
- Possibility to attach a small picture collection to a dive - map or your favorite picture from that site.
- Implement one of the available open source deco-algorithms for dive planning.

Your thoughts?
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pommi For This Useful Post: