Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
I just saw the early screening of the movie tonight... (great movie, I would highly recommend it)

Anyway, in a command center, where a bunch of NSA types and hacker/decrypted are working, one of them has a 770 on the wall. You see it for about 1 or 2 seconds, but it is clearly there!

:-) Short, but more publicity for our 770s!

Christ...is Nokia paying to have these placed in movies? Seems silly for a "dead" product.
Maybe they're getting tossed in instead of the n800 because they look better (yeah...I said it. The n800 looks cheesy in comparison.)

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

This is the third major hollywood movie that the 770 has been in of late. I think this is product placement, pure and simple. Regardless of whether the ITT community considers the 770 "dead", I still see the 770 on store shelves and I have seen advertising for the 770 well after the official "we will no longer be supporting the 770" announcements. I am unsure of whether Nokia continues to manufacture the 770, but they seem to be working hard to "clear inventory."

Another thing to consider is that principle shooting for movies, particularly those which rely heavily on CGI (in lieu of plot, acting, script writing, etc.), often wraps up YEARS in advance of the film's release.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Germany
since i only watched Die Hard 4 and there where only Nokia-phones in it.
I would guess that the Producers made some kind of contract with nokia about using their phones and as bonus the could also use the "techi" looking 770...

But it's just a guess...

There was also a Nokia phone very prominently featured in Transformers as well. It is during the scene where they are in Hoover Dam and need something electronic to demonstrate the transformitive effects of the All-spark. They even managed to work several lines of dialog about it when one of the characters comments about it being an advanced phone from Japan and is corrected that it is from finland. The movie was practically one big commercial. They were not subtle about the product placement in the least bit. I stopped counting after several dozen products.

Michael Bay murdered my childhood

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
Personally - I thought it was a great movie!

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Nokia was also big in the Fantastic 4 movie (Rise of the Silver Surfer). The 770 was Reed Richards' gadget-of-choice, working as a toy (what game was he playing?), as a notification device (the device acted like it received messages like a phone), and as a controller for the blast-the-Silver-Surfer configuration. In "Live Free or Die Hard", there were several Nokia devices -- all phones from what I could see -- with a Nokia 9300 Communicator being the featured device. I missed the 770 in the Transformers movie, but I caught several other Nokia devices (I believe the device in the All-spark energy sequence was a N93 or N93i).

Nokia must be blowing big bucks on product placement!

-F

Last edited by frethop; 2007-07-05 at 18:50.

They are blowing all the money they got for selling 8,000 770's on WOOT.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Exeter, UK
It's that skunkworks geek credibility.

I am sure the game Reed was playing must be NetHack