Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
So this isn't a matter of making a go-kart and calling it a Porsche.
It's exactly making a go-kart and calling it a Porsche. All phones, tablets, MP3 players, laptops, netbooks, servers, desktops, and mainframes are computers. It's the size and the power that differentiates them. The OS is merely the transmission and the device features are the optional extras.

The N900 is a very good smartphone - more smart than phone but that's not a bad thing. It's not a pocketable, general purpose, personal computer. There are such things. The Viliv S5 and UMID BZ come to mind.

If you still think the N900 is a computer, check out a more open, more standard, and significantly cheaper computer that just went on sale for $99. It's the NanoNote which has copyleft hardware, the full Linux Kernel, and the OpenWrt Linux distro.

http://sharism.cc/products/ben-nanonote/

The only thing to recommend the N900 over the NanoNote (or the Viliv) is the phone capabilities and that is the N900's distinguishing feature. Frankly, just as anyone who bought an N900 expecting an iPhone bought the wrong thing, so did anyone who bought the N900 as a mobile computer.

It's a great smartphone. Accept it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
The only thing to recommend the N900 over the NanoNote (or the Viliv) is the phone capabilities and that is the N900's distinguishing feature.
Seriously? I'd suggest you take a moment to reread that. You're comparing:
- A MIPS board whose computional power resembles that of a late generation tamagotchi more than that of a NIT. Ok, not really true .
- A non pocketable Atom UMPC.
- A NIT (nokia internet tablet).

And I guess the 3D accelerator, nearly duplicated performance and RAM memory are things that nobody would consider when jumping from the N8x0 to the N900... no, they all will look at the phone features. Ah...

I wonder why I got a N810 when I could have just used my tamagotchi (mergotchi ) for my mobile computing needs. Neither of them has a phone, which clearly is the killer feature!

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-15 at 21:54.

Frankly, just as anyone who bought an N900 expecting an iPhone bought the wrong thing, so did anyone who bought the N900 as a mobile computer.

It's a great smartphone. Accept it.
Unless you didn't want to carry around yet another device. I did that for a while, plain low feature cell phone and n800. I like having a mobile computer that doesn't require me to carry yet another device just so I can take or receive the occasional call. It's not the best mobile computer, but it does the job well and I don't think there's any other device that can do mobile computing and take an occasional phone call like the N900 can.

Having two devices means two chargers, two devices to carry, etc..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Endri View Post
BTW I grabbed a Nexus ONE... it is really hot... and I can even sync my calendar and mail with gmail?
If that is your prime argument, then I can only agree: you should never have bought the N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Endri View Post
1. I am no troll. Maybe an hobgoblin... :-) I just speak my mind... dont canna be offensive...

2. I use the terminal... on n900... iPhone, Android Etc.

And I really love this community... the only good thing good about meamo.. lets gole Nokia dont blow it with meego.
Peace
And what's so productive when you speak your mind in a forum that only cares on making a progress on Maemo and developing useful and fun applications? Keep it to yourself or go complain over at Nokia Discussions.. Thanks..

My point is that without the phone the N900 would just be one computing device in a continuum of computing devices and, for the price, you could get better computers or, for significantly less, you could get a much slower Linux computer.

As Laughing Man says, the key is that it's a phone plus, a smartphone, a superphone, whatever you want to call it. It's a phone with computing capabilities which exceed those of other phones. It allows you to leave other devices at home, as long as you don't need their full capabilities.

There is no device, yet, which you can use as a phone and then put it in a dock and use as a desktop PC.

P.S. There will be eventually. But by that time we will want something even better.

Last edited by DaveP1; 2010-03-15 at 22:09.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
My point is that without the phone the N900 would just be one computing device in a continuum of computing devices and, for the price, you could get better computers or, for significantly less, you could get a much slower Linux computer.
And my point is that this very same community was formed from users of N900-like devices without a phone (and for half the price, all has to be said). Now try to tell to them that "they could have gotten better computing devices". When they arrange to beat you, be sure to tell them that they could have gotten a mips instead .

The n900 is a fine piece of hardware but its missing a lot of stuff.Its not perfect but its not bad either.But then again,as an "internet tablet" im not quite sure it does it job the way it should.Lots of websites are not fully rendered,the lack of Vsync makes the web browsing look poor.But oh well at least it has flash.The only thing that keeps me from selling it is the Skype integration,the way the contacts are organized,and the UI of the Maemo OS.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
And what's so productive when you speak your mind in a forum that only cares on making a progress on Maemo and developing useful and fun applications? Keep it to yourself or go complain over at Nokia Discussions.. Thanks..
In defense of the OP, this is the same person who, in response to the poll "Would you turn in your N900 for a full refund?" said: "are you mentally ******ed? I won't change my n900 with anything from 2009."

Not everyone who rates a device highly to start out is going to keep that high opinion, just as there are people here who disliked the N900 and came to like it. Unless you are insecure in your own purchase, you don't need to attack them.

As far as useful and fun apps, I hope so. I'm an N810 user and I have been very disappointed with the apps that were available even years after the device and OS were released. I have found exactly one app, Xournal, that is as useful or as fun as any number of apps that I had on my old Palm Pilot which the N810 replaced.

Instead of attacking him, look at the capabilities he says are lacking. Then either tell the users who haven't given up on the N900 how to accomplish them or write an app so that they can be accomplished.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Instead of attacking him, look at the capabilities he says are lacking.
Or just wave goodbye as he leaves.

There isn't anything new here - it's just another one. So cool, we have several vocal people who left for other platforms.

Ok.

Yay.

Moving on.

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax