Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
What would be REALLY cool is if we could get an extra row of desktops above or below the current one. Navigating through 8 or 9 horizontally aligned ones would take a lot of time, but scrolling up and down would add a lot of functionality.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If we want to use the modified hildon-desktop just for extra desktops, will the modified h-d behave like the original otherwise, or do we have to set some keys with gconftool to ensure "stock" behaviour?

I am just worried that I won't be able to use Ctrl-backarrow to switch fullscreen apps...

The default behaviour is similar to original hildon-desktop. In case of ctrl-backspce, it is exactly the same.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
1. hey I ve tried with other numbers but I got an issue. I tried for 7 and 9 homescreens both are working but the issue is that all the desktops are coming in horizontal direction. I cannot see them neither diagonally nor vertically.

2. all the new destops are having the same wallpaper as that of my active screen. I cannot even change the wallpaper for the new desktops bcoz as soon as I try to change their background, instead of changing their background, the background of my other screen changes which was my previous active screen.

3. I used this method:

Installed the modified hildon desktop and reboot.
Open the X-term and type: Sudo gainroot

gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/5/bg-image -t string “/path/to/background.jpg”
gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list –list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

Reboot.

plz can anyone help me here.

First, the gconftool command is an example. If you want more than 5 desktops, you need to run simila commands for all (new) desktops. the “/path/to/background.jpg” should be replaced by a real path to a background image.

In addition, see post 18.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can also verify that the 5th desktop doesn't get a unique wallpaper with only the modified-hildon-desktop package installed. I followed the instructions correctly.

Adding the modified hildon-home package allowed me to change the background, but it changed the wrong background (of desktop 4, instead of 5?).

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
I have the same problems. The wallpaper stays the same no matter what i do. I even get some strange problems with widgets. They show up sometimes on different pages. Shortcuts worked till now.

Edit : I had 5 desktop command exec widgets configured before i did more then 4 pages. They all showed up on the same "different" page. As i took one more, it showed up in the screen where i want the widget. Same with the weather widget. They where all on the same page when i had just 4. Maby something remembers where it was in original ?

Last edited by OptX; 2010-03-16 at 21:33.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think it's more for the widgets, especially how some widgets can't be resized and take up alot of room.

Though I would've prefered if they made the desktops in a 2x2 configuration. So you can access any desktop with one swipe rather than 2.
I found this trick to be helpful...could be even more if you did have 9 desktops.

"Have you also known, that taping with one thumb on one side of the touch-screen and alternately with your other thumb on the other side of the screen while releasing the former finger almost at the same time, lets you swap your desktops in a horrendous speed. It needs a little bit practice, but if you got the hang of it, it is really a cool thing." - from http://nokia-n900.com/the-n900-tips-...ries-level-02/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sregular For This Useful Post:
can any one just tell me that how can I change the wallpaper and view the desktops diagnally as well as vertically. I have my wallpapers in :

MyDocs-->>Images

The process needs to be redefined for each n evry background and the desktop. plz help

I found a few places where maximum number of desktops is defined, and change all those to 9. These packages should fix the problem with background image:
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...+0m5_armel.deb
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n90...1.13_armel.deb

I'll be happy to hear success/failure report from people who try it, as I don't use this feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post: