Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ER444 View Post
I have a great weather widget on one of my customised desktops "Forecaweather" I can set it up for multiple cities and have it updated as often as I want. There is a 9 day forecast with links to animated maps. Where is the problem ???
Some people even doesn't understand how to do this... and that is a problem.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
I have owned the phone since November and I am ok with it, but not delighted. There are many small touches I like such as the functions possible with the status bar area and the skype integration. But then there are things which seem pretty demented such as the corner menu button which is very poorly thought out, and the the battery is puny for such a bulky device. The biggest let down is phone functionality.

The thing I learnt is never to buy a under developed device again hoping the manufacturer will add functionality later on down the line.

I got the phone for a good price with discount codes so thats why I dont regret the purchase, but I am planning to sell it in a couple of months and get most of my money back before the value drops much further.

The Following User Says Thank You to bret hart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
And what about Witter? It's what I use. I agree completely about Mauku, unfortunately.

For the tiny screen, did you try using tv out?

I'm starting to get impatient and joining the "sell your N900" crowd.

When I recently went on a cruise ship trip for a week, I didn't even think about bringing my laptop with me. The N900 was plenty. I used it all over the ship, for many things.

If you can't appreciate what you have, you can probably sell it easily enough.
I have used Witter, and I can't stand it. Wouldn't mind the ugly, functional interface if it was at least responsive. For sending tweets, I find SMS is the best option on the N900, a situation which is quite frankly laughable.

I have used the TV-out, and it's a fantastic implementation. Can't believe how well it works, and how good the picture is. Of course, it's entirely useless for precise interaction with touch-based apps and sites

I wish people would stop apologising for this device and defending it. It's failed and is still failing to meet its potential, end of. With the right software investment from Nokia it would destroy the competition, but that doesn't mean it isn't a disappointment right now. I don't want to sell it. It has far too much potential, but potential alone is not enough to satisfy me.

If that makes me ungrateful, sue me. It's not like I got this device for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Or "no twitter ap". This is just a lie, presumably made because the complainer is paying no attention.
Actually old chap, I think the general consensus is that there are no good Twitter apps for the phone. A small difference, but a very important one, not to mention entirely true!

Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
I wish people would stop apologising for this device and defending it.
Any positive comment regarding the thing is seen as apologizing or defending it, sadly. The people who accuse others in these posts wouldn't be happy unless we bashed it with them.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Originally Posted by stelchio View Post
it is funny to see that after years of complete failure on nokia's behalf people in here are still defending the tablets. it's seems to be a religious experience for them. It defies logic in any case, these devices have totally failed as consumer products. they are only relevant to a hardcore fan base that, truth be told, can and does make the most out of them. beam me up scoty!
I don't think they're a complete failure, that's a bit harsh. A complete failure would be the software publishing all your passwords and exploding batteries.

I for one, see myself following in the strong tradition of geeks holding on to a platform that clearly isn't ever going to be the market leader (or number two), but does a few interesting things.

AMIGA FOREVER!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
Actually old chap, I think the general consensus is that there are no good Twitter apps for the phone. A small difference, but a very important one, not to mention entirely true!
Actually, old chap, there is a huge rhetorical difference between no apps and no GOOD apps. I do wish you Brits would learn English. I was disagreeing with the statement that there are no apps. I never discussed the question of which apps were good.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I think even that is wishful thinking... Maemo 5 was basically obsolete already when it was released. It is what it is.
Actually n900 is my first Nokia communicator since 9000 that was *not* obsolete already when it was released. And i had all of them since 1998.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Sorry the original poster was disappointed in the device, it happens. I personally love the device, it was a good choice to replace my aging i-Mate JasJar. I researched its then stated ups and downs, and felt them worth dealing with.

For me the device HAD to do the following things well;

1. Play any movie format I downloaded to the PC without conversion [media player codec pack did the trick]
2. Browse the web in desktop fashion, no constant zooming or fidgeting with mobile pages etc ...
3. Serve the role as a good mp3 player, lets face it my old 97 Taurus's speakers aren't the best so a excellent mp3 player would be pointless
[Recently discovered a way to use the accelerometer to change song tracks in the default player just by moving the device, useful]
4. Receive my pop emails in a true desktop fashion, I use claws-mail for this.
5. Keep in text contact with wife and select friends
6. Make the occasional phone call, seriously I barely use 200 minutes in a month, most calls are hey hows things going. Generally I text everything.

Extras I liked in the phone; Nice camera, reasonable keyboard and a pleasant enough UI. Love the solid feel of it, not cheap feeling like some devices.

I have plenty of Debian experience and have a number of previous non-gsm Debian devices [Zaurus for example] so the OS isn't new to me.

On the app front I found with little real effort most of what I needed to get things done. The few things I did not find will come in time and personally I don't care if Nokia or the community delivers it, its still going to be made at some point. Never was a fan of go to this select place and buy these apps either, so OVI Store isn't a big deal to me. Many of my friends have iPhone's and various droid varieties and it never seems to surprise me to see the "zippo" app or some variant of a waste of space app on there devices.

Anyways, for those who feel lost, disappointed, left behind, bewildered or otherwise moving to another platform, good luck and be sure to not post your parting thoughts. They serve no purpose for the living, thriving community you poison by leaving such negative statements

Last edited by Scottlfa; 2010-03-17 at 03:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
That's easy, just get a 16Gb SD card and you can have them all.
Or a soon to be available 32gb card, . Thats 64gb on a phone, omg :S, my heart bursts out with sweet joy each time I think about it ^_^.

Of course there is the question of battery life and whether it'll actually work or not, but in this case I'm sure a little hacking would suffice.

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax