Active Topics

my biggest problem with this device is battery life....I barely get half a day of usage.eg. surfing, couple phone calls and texting...now that i'm on a 3g network..the battery life is terrible...when I was on 2g...it was more or less tolerable...I dont feel like I need to be flipping bw 2g/3g every time with an app either...I dont have any apps that are running in the back ground either..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by TheLoz View Post
I wish people would stop apologising for this device and defending it. It's failed and is still failing to meet its potential, end of.
People with different expectations, who are happy with the N900, aren't forced to accept your verdict as absolute. So they'll defend it. They won't see it as failed.

Originally Posted by beerduck View Post
bye bye!

I actually moved from android to maemo because i found android to be childish and unstable, and i haven't regret that move once. Android might have had good google integration but that was it. Phonebook, calendar and messaging all sucked, and there was very little to choose from on the android-market. I also never found one decent weather-app that didn't drain my battery.
bull android was efficient on with google devices now blur was a battery hog if you had that i'd agree but that a not with google experience device

Its so easy to lose a signal on this phone on android that would write new radios have they done that aat all

...have a beer, relax, think it over... but you must resist the temptation to paint yer' N900 greeeeeeeen
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besides For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I know, I have one of them, the N810. I got it to replace my Palm TX whose screen died. ...

If you can't define the capabilities you are looking for in any piece of hardware, whether it's a phone or a fridge, you may end up making a bad decision.
Interesting...I too got my N900 to replace my dead Palm Pilot (and an intervening series of bad cell phones with so-called PDA / media features). As an Outlook user, I'm dependent on Nokia PC Suite, but it fails to sync bidirectionally. Nokia tech support in January told me N900 hot-syncing is not officially supported until a firmware update later this year...which I found rather disappointing (considering the advertised specs). I have 3500+ contacts which noticeably bogs down the N900 contacts app.

So I can empathize with the OP. I'm a bit disillusioned with the N900 insofar as a major functionality that I expected (and need) to work doesn't work.

The N900 is a quirky "love/hate" device. I love the browser, keyboard, stylus, 32GB storage, open OS, fast USB, WiFi, the screen is awesome and the phone quality is very good. I'm much less impressed with the GPS app, the FM radio app, the fact that the FM radio doesn't work unless the bluetooth radio is enabled (=battery drain), the stuttery UI and jerky media playback, and the short battery life. And I really need Nokia to fix the hot-syncing issues. I can't afford to change phones...this one has to work for me.

Cheers!

Brad

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
in my openion the major problem is the lack of apps & games .
sure you can count dont know 500+ apps in maemo.org repo ?
but how many of them are REALY usefull ? and how many do you need ? how many are bug free ? usable ? etc ..
i dont blame ppl who work & make them for free , but its just a fact .
on the other hand if nokia themselfes are not supporting the device / os properly how will other software houses will ?
althought i didnt buy the n900 for gaming , i recall the BOUNCE EVO video , showing the 3d graphics capabilities etc .. still after 3-5 mounths no other game was released .

im not consered so much bout the maemo6/maego upgrade , I LOVE my phone , it does what i need it to do , and im realy happy i got it . but nokias policy i think is at least , crappy relaesed n97 droped it in les than a year moved to n900 , now they are droping the n900 mameo5 moving to the next device . the support is realy dissapointing .
ps: im still hoping for mms integration .
ps: still w8ing for a proper email client.
ps:still w8ing for a proper radio app .
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
But you right - N900 is not for fan boys, it is for thinking people.
ps : define thinking people plz .

some other things i noticed reading the hole topic ..
- command line ? huh .. so what usefull can i do with it as an end user ?
-you all talk about porting apps etc . but realy how usefull / userfriendly is lets say GIMP on the n900 ?
-also yes the n900 runs linux os , but it is still missing some major apps / apps option /settings .
as i said before i love my n900 , and i dont want to be misunderstood .
the problem is that nokia realesed it and hoped that ppl will fix the bugs , make the missing apps etc .

Last edited by on3st4b; 2010-03-17 at 09:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to on3st4b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
I want a real facebook application like other devices!! screw the full browsing!!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Umm...

I don't get why people buy the N900 then go to a N1/iPhone instead then complain about the N900.
It's like going from a 5 seater SUV to a 2 seater sports car then complain that the SUV wasn't as sporty.

N900 has a hardware keyboard. iPhone/Nexus1 does not. This to me is the biggest difference.
There is no way I would buy a phone for myself that doesn't have a hardware qwerty keyboard.

N900 isn't perfect. But you knew that when you bought it. Right?

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Do you view style of the opening post as something that was intended to create useful discussion?
At least personally I find it very hard to read as such, but it is very easy to read it as something that was intended to create friction and bad atmosphere.

If you post an opening like that to a forum where a lot of people disagree with what you say, the most probable outcomes would usually be:
- thread lock
- total silence
- whining, whining, whining (as the call, so the echo)

I'm not sure which of those would be for the win, but the chances of anything great coming out of it were slim to begin with.
The point its not overwhelming, there's a seemingly a 50/50 split with people agreeing and disagreeing with the guy's comments hence the length of the thread. (yes some of his comments were fingerpointing and pointless, however the main thrust of his point was sound).
In general it seems any dissent about the N900 on this forum, even if constructive seems to get attacked/ and a lot of forum members get very defensive.
In my opinion what Nokia have done is be very disingenuous, a la N97 - when they very recently said they would never act the same way as they did with the N97. (Im not saying the N900 is as broken as the N97 when released but there are definite parallels).
I love my N900 but am massively frustrated and disappointed with it too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-bye losers, disappointment, hello freedom, n900 != phone, relax