Active Topics

@atilla

How do I specify to use Qt4.6 as opposed to Qt4.5 in my python script?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
You can't. The way Qt things are done on Maemo means this gets decided when the bindings get compiled/packaged. So, while you can have simultaneous 4.5 and 4.6 support, this would mean ANOTHER set of libraries, imported separately. There was supposed to be a python2.5-qt4-maemo5 package, but considering the imminent release of PR1.2 and lack of testers I never pushed it to extras-devel under that name (it will replace the current package upon PR1.2 release, instead)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Ah that explains a lot.
I was looking high and low for that lib. I got a bit excited when I installed PyQt 4.7 and thought we had Qt4.6 support.

I wanted to try and get Portrait mode support without going to Hildon, ala the Gpodder method.

I will have to wait a few weeks.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Call to testers/users - The latest version (that apparently solved many dependency issues) needs a bit more formal feedback. So if you are a PyQt user and/or have extras-testing enables and having fun with it, take a sec to provide feedback on

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...t4/4.7-maemo7/

and

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...oc/4.7-maemo7/

Thanks and happy hacking !
Repeating the call. Cmon guys, let's get these tested & promoted to Extras - if this does not happen soon, people with pre-PR1.2 firmwares will not ever be able to use Python and Qt together. The testing squad needs YOU.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
ooo testing me? awwww ok - will do tonight
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Good news everyone ! The packages are now (really) in Extras, so I can focus on the Qt4.6 version. I already have it working on my build machine, and it will also have support for Maemo-specific classes. One thing I noted right away is that it is (probably because of Qt optimizations) WAY faster in some areas (like QGraphicsView). Note that these packages will replace the 'old' PyQt packages just as the new Qt4.6 packages will replace the previous Qt4.5 ones. Happy hacking !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Atilla, have i mentioned i love you recently? hehehe

Thank you very much - off to extras i go!!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
So I'm the developer of barriosquare (in extras-devel) which is based on PyQt4. Some of my users are running to dependency issues (conflicting packages with):

python2.5-qt4-gui
python2.5-qt4-network
python2.5-qt4-webkit

Upon more serious investigation, they already have these packages installed:

Code:
ii python2.5-qt4-gui 4.6.2-maemo20091218.0 Python bindings for Qt4
Core components.
ii python2.5-qt4-network 4.6.2-maemo20091218.0 Python bindings for Qt4
Core components.
ii python2.5-qt4-webkit 4.6.2-maemo20091218.0 Python bindings for Qt4
But barriosquare wants to update them to:

Code:
ii  python2.5-qt4-gui                                   4.7-maemo7                                                                                                                                                      Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-qt4-help                                  4.7-maemo7                                                                                                                                                      Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.
ii  python2.5-qt4-network                               4.7-maemo7                                                                                                                                                      Python bindings for Qt4 Core components.

Any ideas on the incompatibility? I'm assuming this is related to some other software installing 4.6 versions of the bindings from extras-testing, while barriosquare wants to install the version from extras-devel?

I'm a bit confused. Does this email have any bearing on this issue:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/024512.html

How can I get my users to install my app without running into these dependency issues?

Hm, there never was a PyQt4.6.2 version outside of extras-devel. Currently, there is a single version out there (4.7-maemo7), which is in Extras proper. The proposed upgrade path is correct, the question is what is holding back the actual upgrade. It must be something version-specific as 'apt-get install barriosquare' does the upgrade properly on my test rig. Did they install PyQt manually perhaps, via apt-get install ? The Hildon App Manager is very conservative in that regard, IIRC it will rather say problems instead of updating something not initially installed by it...

Alternatively, if apt-getting new versions doesn't work out, I suggest they uninstall the PyQt version they have, as that is a really ancient (so ancient that it has been erased from extras-devel), and install barriosquare anew.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Update:
Upstream released PyQt 4.7.2 which (bolstered with a few patches from yours truly) fully supports Qt4.6 for Maemo.

I will open a new topic for that release, this one will remain open for Qt4.5 related issues (since Qt4.5 will still be supported for N8x0 devices and pre-PR1.2 N900s)

However, due to a few changes PR1.2 will bring, I need a few volunteers. PR1.2 will leave out a few modules to conserve space and this means the Examples package (python2.5-qt4-doc) needs a bit of love before it can be released for PR1.2. Long story short, help is welcome to rid the demo application of any QtHelp, QtAssistant or QtDesigner dependencies (as said above, they will not be in PR1.2), and is an excellent way to brush up on your Python-Qt skills.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, pyqt, pyside, python, qt4