Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
I suddenly started getting spam messages both as SMS-s and as IM-s (Google Talk, Skype).

This is very fishy, It's impossible that my accounts have been selected for spamming on multiple providers at the same time.
I'm afraid that somebody/something is reading the account names on the N900 itself.

Did somebody else experience this as well ?

Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
I suddenly started getting spam messages both as SMS-s and as IM-s (Google Talk, Skype).

This is very fishy, It's impossible that my accounts have been selected for spamming on multiple providers at the same time.
I'm afraid that somebody/something is reading the account names on the N900 itself.

Did somebody else experience this as well ?
I've got a few of these myself. I, too, was curious about it.

Same here: I was contacted via MSN, from a contact named "Joi", who didn't say anything but "Hi" (until I replied).

This happened a few days ago.
I'm using MSN since many years on my PC and I can't remember something like this happened before.
I own the N900 since three months or so, so I don't know if it has something to do with it. The first time I was contacted, I was on MSN via the N900 though.

No spam contacts from my other IM protocols (skype, facebook, gtalk).

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I've had two IMs this month (7th and 16th), both from accounts with names suggesting young ladies, both advertising dating agencies, and both in the early hours of the morning (3am - 4am). My wife is getting very suspicious!

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
$5 says Nokia is selling our information

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I paid Nokia a small car's worth over the years. I doubt they'd sell my info for an extra 60 cents. If it does happen it's likely an exploit or mal-intended alpha software. List of installed apps?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Twice, I've got a message over skype saying that my Windows computer needs a security download (this on my N900). I've also received a couple of SMS's advertising some company's IPO or something like that.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I paid Nokia a small car's worth over the years. I doubt they'd sell my info for an extra 60 cents. If it does happen it's likely an exploit or mal-intended alpha software. List of installed apps?
Yes, this is what I'm afraid of too: one installed apps is malware.

Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
one installed apps is malware.
Doubtful. MSN is a frequent target for spam, and as a result my desktop IM client is set to whitelist only. SMS spam also occurs, and most carriers won't reimburse you for it.

I would be shocked if Skype wasn't vulnerable to it in some fashion as well.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Doubtful. MSN is a frequent target for spam, and as a result my desktop IM client is set to whitelist only. SMS spam also occurs, and most carriers won't reimburse you for it.

I would be shocked if Skype wasn't vulnerable to it in some fashion as well.
Two of the spams, an SMS and a Skype IM, had the same text. That means it was the same source spamming.