Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
In a sense, the CPU is already overclocked at 600Mhz.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Running CPU constantly at 600MHz is definitely documented to have reduced lifetime. All those numbers may be quite high to be beyond typical lifetime of the device but I can imagine overclocking over 600MHz can push this further down to lifetime which may matter to someone.

Thank you very much for the info.

BTW Im looking forward to seeing some overclocking utility, no matter the risks ... I'll stay in touch with this thread!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
In a sense, the CPU is already overclocked at 600Mhz.
That's a common saying used to scare the overclockers. Technically, it is also true. Reducing the lifetime "may" occur if it is abused or used under abnormal amount of stress such as heat. But don't worry, the cpu even overclocked should last longer than most other components on the N900 such as the backlight of the LCD. Unless you did some crazy overclocking and totally overheat the CPU by burning it in. That won't be easy to do anyways as the phone most likely will crash or cpu will clock down way before that happens.

I'm not sure why would one want to overclock it?
The overclocking margin is anyway so small it hardly makes a noticeable difference in everyday use. You could get a little more throughput, but that would have meaning mostly if you use it as a rendering server or something..

My guess is, tweaking the power saving options would be more fruitful, if it's the (perceived) speed you're after.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Uh, yeah, the N900 battery life is crappy enough as it is, overclocking is a good way to shorten the battery and the life of the unit.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I'm not sure why would one want to overclock it?
The overclocking margin is anyway so small it hardly makes a noticeable difference in everyday use. You could get a little more throughput, but that would have meaning mostly if you use it as a rendering server or something..
Big margin. 600Mhz > 800Mhz = 33% increase.

What would run hotter at such utilization?
66% @ 800Mhz or 100% @ 600Mhz

If it can handle 800Mhz, it might even run cooler.
All depends on the sample quality in your N900.

Overclocking does not mean we will constantly use that faster frequency at 100%.
It's the "instant" cpu power that it lacks sometimes.

When it shoots to 100% @ 600Mhz which it does frequently during certain operations, it's hitting a bottleneck.
Instead, if the cpu was capable of 800Mhz for its ceiling.
Then maybe it might only neded 80% at 800Mhz for that "instant".

Why do we have quad cores in our desktop pc's when 90% of the users will never really get it to use 100% on all 4 cores?
The more speed headroom you have, the smoother it can run even for little non-cpu intensive tasks.

Well, I love my N900. So it's natural to want it a bit faster.
- less video playback frame drops
- less pauses during music playback while multi-tasking
- less frame drops in game emulators
- smoother multi-tasking in general

I wish you can increase the RAM it has to 512MB. That would actually make it a lot smoother during multi-tasking. But we know that's really impossible. So we are clutching on straws here to at least bump the cpu a bit faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Big margin. 600Mhz > 800Mhz = 33% increase.

What would run hotter at such utilization?
66% @ 800Mhz or 100% @ 600Mhz

If it can handle 800Mhz, it might even run cooler.
All depends on the sample quality in your N900.

Overclocking does not mean we will constantly use that faster frequency at 100%.
It's the "instant" cpu power that it lacks sometimes.

When it shoots to 100% @ 600Mhz which it does frequently during certain operations, it's hitting a bottleneck.

Why do we have quad cores in our desktop pc's when 90% of the users will never really get it to use 100% on all 4 cores?
The more speed headroom you have, the smoother it can run even for little non-cpu intensive tasks.

Well, I love my N900. So it's natural to want it a bit faster.
- less video playback frame drops
- less pauses during music playback while multi-tasking
- less frame drops in game emulators
- smoother multi-tasking in general

I wish you can increase the RAM it has to 512MB. That would actually make it a lot smoother during multi-tasking. But we know that's really impossible. So we are clutching on straws here to at least bump the cpu a bit faster.

I absolutely agree!

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
My fear is that CPU throttling itself at this "instant" is the problem; when more CPU is suddenly needed, it has already stalled, and it's too late to "send the cavalry". Sure, you may now get through the stall a bit faster, but the illusion of smoothness was already lost.

At least that's what I gather from the desktop PC overclock/cpu throttling experiments I've made. But who knows, N900 is a bit different beast, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see until someone actually tries it.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
My fear is that CPU throttling itself at this "instant" is the problem; when more CPU is suddenly needed, it has already stalled, and it's too late to "send the cavalry". Sure, you may now get through the stall a bit faster, but the illusion of smoothness was already lost.

At least that's what I gather from the desktop PC overclock/cpu throttling experiments I've made. But who knows, N900 is a bit different beast, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see until someone actually tries it.
Its not too late. If you have a task that needs 700mhz of power, and you only have 600, then you'll notice the stall, but if overclocked to 800mhz, you won't notice it. So overall experience, everything is smoother.

I would be interested in overclocking the n900 just for the fun of it, it may not be entirely necessary, but if its a risk many of us are willing to take, then why not?

I don't get why people here are slamming the idea. No one is forcing you to overclock your n900, those who do want to do it obviously understand the risks.

Not slamming anything here, just having a lot of doubts

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom